Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    It's an expression to describe a fabulous voice.

    What word/adjective would you describe such voice?

    Many thanks in advance


    NT

  2. #2
    banderas's Avatar
    banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,512

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    It's an expression to describe a fabulous voice.

    What word/adjective would you describe such voice?

    Many thanks in advance


    NT
    to be in good voice=to be singing well
    excellent/strong voice

  3. #3
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Also, in a rather more formal context, a voice can be described as 'mellifluous' (which coincidentally, has a sort of association with butter - as it's derived from Latin words meaning 'flowing like honey').

    b

  4. #4
    NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Also, in a rather more formal context, a voice can be described as 'mellifluous' (which coincidentally, has a sort of association with butter - as it's derived from Latin words meaning 'flowing like honey').

    b
    Thanks so much, Bob. I've looked up the word and that word describes perfectly well the voice I heard of a singer. (does this sentence sound strange by the way?...the voice I heard of a singer.)

    I try to avoid using the expression for I and my Chinese taste-bud can't detect fake butter from real one, using it would present me as fraud.

    By the way, is it "in the mouth" or "on the tongue"?


    NT

  5. #5
    beascarpetta's Avatar
    beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    By the way, is it "in the mouth" or "on the tongue"?
    there is an idiom which also uses the concept of butter,albeit melting in sb's mouth

    (she looked as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth)
    meaning sb looks as if he/she would never do anything wrong, although you suspect they might

    totally out of context,of course,but it favours the mouth and not the tongue.

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,916

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    Thanks so much, Bob. I've looked up the word and that word describes perfectly well the voice I heard of a singer. (does this sentence sound strange by the way?...the voice I heard of a singer.)

    I try to avoid using the expression for I and my Chinese taste-bud can't detect fake butter from real one, using it would present me as fraud.

    By the way, is it "in the mouth" or "on the tongue"? Either, though collocation is important: "melt", for example, collocates with 'mouth' - delicious food 'melts in the mouth'; if there's a word you just can't remember, however, it's 'on the tip of your tongue'.


    NT
    You're welcome - 'the voice of a singer' sounds a bit odd here; perhaps just say 'voice' or 'singing voice'. You'd only use 'the voice of a singer' in a context like this:

    'I'm sure I've heard that voice before.'
    'Perhaps it was the man in the corner shop....'
    'No. It was the voice of a singer. I must have heard it in a concert.'

    You could also use it to mean a good singing voice, belonging to someone who might be expected to have that sort of voice (because he's a singer).

    b

  7. #7
    NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    there is an idiom which also uses the concept of butter,albeit melting in sb's mouth

    (she looked as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth)
    meaning sb looks as if he/she would never do anything wrong, although you suspect they might

    totally out of context,of course,but it favours the mouth and not the tongue.
    Thanks beas!!

    Learning something new everyday, I can't say it enough.

    Thanks a lot

    NT

  8. #8
    NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Is anybody starting to roll thier eyes yet?......."what, are we not done with this!"

    Just one tiny little bit, I promise. Bob, you said:

    Either, though collocation is important: "melt", for example, collocates with 'mouth' - delicious food 'melts in the mouth'; if there's a word you just can't remember, however, it's 'on the tip of your tongue'.

    So, "butter in your mouth (on the tongue)" is not quite the expression for a fabulous voice. What did I miss? "melting"?

    Thanks
    NT

  9. #9
    vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,996

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Attention: I'm not a teacher.

    Hi NearThere,

    I would recommend using of the well-known, classical adjectives melodious and mellow.

    Among them, only Davide joined in the singing with his rich, sweetly melodious voice , underscoring with its surprising deep timbre the quavery piping of his sister's…
    Mr McKenna," she acknowledged in her attractive, melodious voice , not quite managing to mask her antipathy, as the broadening of his…
    His energy, his sense of humor and his melodious voice made a deep impression.

    With mellow voice and "unctuousness of utterance" he became a West End favourite so that….
    The smiling face; the jokey mellow voice --; but what was going on, really?
    The stern yet mellow voice was unmistakeable, as bright and fresh as if it was 1979 when I was…

    Regards.

    V.

  10. #10
    NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: like butter in your mouth (on your tongue?)

    Thanks a lot Vil.

    I was looking for a very specific word to describe a voice that has the effect that mimics the expression.

    I'll give you an example of a person's voice that sounds like butter in your mouth: the lead singer of the band "simply red". But then again, this is as subjective as you would beauty: it all lies in the eye of the beholder.

    NT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •