Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    #1

    singular or plural

    Why is the singular form of the word "reason" is used in the sentence below?

    Ih short, people will have less reason to travel to city centres from outlying areas.

    Thank you in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    #2

    Re: singular or plural

    Is this part of paragraph that lists many reasons or one main reason?

    Either word (reason or reasons) can be used.

    People can grow their own food in the country. The pollution in the big cities is becoming a health hazard. In short, people will have less reasons to travel to city centres from outlying areas.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #3

    Re: singular or plural

    "Reason" can be countable or uncountable, depending on its meaning. In the above sentence it means "motivation" and is uncountable (so you can't put it into the plural).

    And to be perfectly correct, you use "less" with an uncountable noun (as above) and "fewer" with a countable noun (fewer reasons).

    (More and more, however, people are using "less" with both uncountable and countable nouns.)


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    #4

    Re: singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Is this part of paragraph that lists many reasons or one main reason?

    Either word (reason or reasons) can be used.

    People can grow their own food in the country. The pollution in the big cities is becoming a health hazard. In short, people will have less reasons to travel to city centres from outlying areas.
    You are right - it lists only one reason. Now I see thank you :)


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    #5

    Re: singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    "Reason" can be countable or uncountable, depending on its meaning. In the above sentence it means "motivation" and is uncountable (so you can't put it into the plural).

    And to be perfectly correct, you use "less" with an uncountable noun (as above) and "fewer" with a countable noun (fewer reasons).

    (More and more, however, people are using "less" with both uncountable and countable nouns.)
    Could you please explain to me the meaning and structure the (I am not sure if I should use 'the' here) another sentence with 'less', I cannot understand the last part (which started with "as less social contact...")

    This, in turn, may affect the social atmosphere of an organisation, however, as less social contact with one's colleagues could harm morale and loyalty.

    (It seems to me you are so good at this topic :))


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #6

    Re: singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    Could you please explain to me the meaning and structure the (I am not sure if I should use 'the' here) another sentence with 'less', I cannot understand the last part (which started with "as less social contact...")

    This, in turn, may affect the social atmosphere of an organisation, however, as less social contact with one's colleagues could harm morale and loyalty.

    (It seems to me you are so good at this topic :))
    Maybe it's the word "as" that's confusing you? In this context it means more or less the same thing as "because".

    So you could paraphrase this subordinate clause more or less like this:
    "....because colleagues wouldn't be seeing each other so much and this could affect their level of confidence and their positive feelings, also their loyalty."

    Hope I've answered your question?

    (Incidentally, in your message you say "I am not sure if I should use 'the' here". No, not 'the' but 'of'.)
    Last edited by naomimalan; 28-Mar-2008 at 18:34.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 150
    #7

    Re: singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Maybe it's the word "as" that's confusing you? In this context it means more or less the same thing as "because".

    So you could paraphrase this subordinate clause more or less like this:
    "....because colleagues wouldn't be seeing each other so much and this could affect their level of confidence and their positive feelings, also their loyalty."

    Hope I've answered your question?

    (Incidentally, in you message you say "I am not sure if I should use 'the' here". No, not 'the' but 'of'.)
    I am wondering whether 'social' is adjective in this case and 'contact' is noun.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #8

    Re: singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    I am wondering whether 'social' is adjective in this case and 'contact' is noun.
    Yes. Social = adjective, contact = noun in this context.

Similar Threads

  1. Singular and plural and their effects
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2007, 14:28
  2. possessive between plural and singular
    By noni in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 08:54
  3. singular or plural?
    By mhermy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2006, 14:09
  4. verbs
    By eyescold_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2005, 06:32
  5. Is 'manners' plural or singular?
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2005, 23:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •