singular or plural

Why is the singular form of the word "reason" is used in the sentence below?

Ih short, people will have less reason to travel to city centres from outlying areas.

Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: singular or plural

Is this part of paragraph that lists many reasons or one main reason?

Either word (reason or reasons) can be used.

People can grow their own food in the country. The pollution in the big cities is becoming a health hazard. In short, people will have less reasons to travel to city centres from outlying areas.

"Reason" can be countable or uncountable, depending on its meaning. In the above sentence it means "motivation" and is uncountable (so you can't put it into the plural).

And to be perfectly correct, you use "less" with an uncountable noun (as above) and "fewer" with a countable noun (fewer reasons).

(More and more, however, people are using "less" with both uncountable and countable nouns.)

Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Is this part of paragraph that lists many reasons or one main reason?

Either word (reason or reasons) can be used.

People can grow their own food in the country. The pollution in the big cities is becoming a health hazard. In short, people will have less reasons to travel to city centres from outlying areas.
    You are right - it lists only one reason. Now I see thank you :)

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    "Reason" can be countable or uncountable, depending on its meaning. In the above sentence it means "motivation" and is uncountable (so you can't put it into the plural).

And to be perfectly correct, you use "less" with an uncountable noun (as above) and "fewer" with a countable noun (fewer reasons).

(More and more, however, people are using "less" with both uncountable and countable nouns.)
    Could you please explain to me the meaning and structure the (I am not sure if I should use 'the' here) another sentence with 'less', I cannot understand the last part (which started with "as less social contact...")

This, in turn, may affect the social atmosphere of an organisation, however, as less social contact with one's colleagues could harm morale and loyalty.

(It seems to me you are so good at this topic :))

Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    Could you please explain to me the meaning and structure the (I am not sure if I should use 'the' here) another sentence with 'less', I cannot understand the last part (which started with "as less social contact...")

This, in turn, may affect the social atmosphere of an organisation, however, as less social contact with one's colleagues could harm morale and loyalty.

(It seems to me you are so good at this topic :))
    Maybe it's the word "as" that's confusing you? In this context it means more or less the same thing as "because".

So you could paraphrase this subordinate clause more or less like this:
    "....because colleagues wouldn't be seeing each other so much and this could affect their level of confidence and their positive feelings, also their loyalty."

Hope I've answered your question?

(Incidentally, in your message you say "I am not sure if I should use 'the' here". No, not 'the' but 'of'.)
    Last edited by naomimalan; 28-Mar-2008 at 18:34.

Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    Maybe it's the word "as" that's confusing you? In this context it means more or less the same thing as "because".

So you could paraphrase this subordinate clause more or less like this:
    "....because colleagues wouldn't be seeing each other so much and this could affect their level of confidence and their positive feelings, also their loyalty."

Hope I've answered your question?

(Incidentally, in you message you say "I am not sure if I should use 'the' here". No, not 'the' but 'of'.)
    I am wondering whether 'social' is adjective in this case and 'contact' is noun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvita View Post
    I am wondering whether 'social' is adjective in this case and 'contact' is noun.
    Yes. Social = adjective, contact = noun in this context.