Although & Despite

____ feeling sick, she continued working.

• Total voters

Zorjay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I voted despite because, in order to use although, you would have needed "[...] she was feeling sick"; therefore to use although you need a verb AND a subject too (this is only my opinion: I made my choice just because it sounded good to me).

ReadWatch&Write

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
from Oxford Learner's Dictionary

Usage note: although / even though / though
You can use these words to show contrast between two clauses or two sentences. Though is used more in spoken than in written English. You can use although, even though and though at the beginning of a sentence or clause that has a verb. Notice where the commas go: Although/Even though/Though everyone played well, we lost the game. ◇ We lost the game, although/even though/though everyone played well.
You cannot use even on its own at the beginning of a sentence or clause instead of although, even though or though: Even everyone played well, we lost the game.

In the given sentence though, "although" could not be used because it would not be showing contrast between two clauses. "Despite" does the job instead.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's lots of useful advice here on using despite (preposition) before noun phrases and although (conjunction) before clauses and that's all correct. What is clear is that despite is undoubtedly correct here.

However:

• these two words do not have exactly the same uses
  • although can be used correctly here

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I was going yo use "Although" I would probably say:

Although she felt sick she continued working.