• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

hero stars

WHen you talk about an actor or actress who are the main character in a movie, can I say as follows?

XX is a hero in the movie or XX is a heroine in the movie. or XX is a leading male character or XX stars in the movie.

WHich one is most natural? or do you have any other suggestions??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: hero stars

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    WHen you talk about an actor or actress who are the main character in a movie, can I say as follows?

XX is a hero in the movie or XX is a heroine in the movie. or XX is a leading male character or XX stars in the movie.

"In ordinary usage “hero” has two meanings: “leading character in a story” and “brave, admirable person.” In simple tales the two meanings may work together, but in modern literature and film the leading character or “protagonist” (a technical term common in literary criticism) may behave in a very unheroic fashion. Students who express shock that the “hero” of a play or novel behaves despicably reveal their inexperience. In literature classes avoid the word unless you mean to stress a character’s heroic qualities. However, if you are discussing the main character in a traditional opera, where values are often simple, you may get by with referring to the male lead as the "hero"—but is Don Giovanni really a hero?"

main male/female character is the term used
    Last edited by banderas; 28-Mar-2008 at 12:41.

Re: hero stars

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post

"xx is the hero in the movie" >> As a general rule there can only be one hero in a film [exceptions are sagas like LoR, where all the Fellowship of the Ring can be seen as heroes}, and hero is usually taken as having a positive meaning.

"xx is a leading male character" >> The role is quite important, but not the central male role.

"xx stars in the movie" >> He is featured in the credits. He may or may not be the hero, he could be the villain, he could be a leading character.

"xx takes the lead role in the movie" >> His character is the important one in the story. The character can be good or bad, or just a person.