• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

deploy

Hi there,

What are differences in meaning and usage amongst 'deploy', 'designate' and 'empower'?

Thanks
    pete

Re: deploy

What are differences in meaning and usage amongst 'deploy', 'designate' and 'empower'?

What are the differences in meaning and usage among 'deploy', 'designate' and 'empower'?

deploy : move (troops) into position for military action

designate: to appoint (someone) to a specified position : he was designated as the leader of our group
    and • officially assign a specified status eg 'Nowadays, there is smoking in designated areas only'
    or ascribe a specified name or quality to : "Certain schools are designated 'science schools.'"

empower : give (someone) the authority or power to do something : "His secretary was empowered to sign checks on his behalf."
    and • [ trans. ] make (someone) stronger and more confident, esp. in controlling their life and claiming their rights : "The Women's Movement empowered women to demand equality in all areas of life."

What is the confusion?
    Last edited by David L.; 29-Mar-2008 at 00:56.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi Peter123,

In my humble opinion the indicated above words are poles apart. At least in my natural language which is close on 1400. (years). There shouldn’t be any embarrassment about their usage.

For example there are the following synonyms of “deploy”: arrange, dispose, distribute, extend, position, station, use, utilize.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi Peter123,

In my humble opinion the indicated above words are poles apart. At least in my natural language which is close on 1400. (years). There shouldn’t be any embarrassment about their usage.

For example there are the following synonyms of “deploy”: arrange, dispose, distribute, extend, position, station, use, utilize.

Regards.

V.
    I think you have to be careful using an online thesaurus/dictionary without looking for examples in sentences.

I arranged a date with my partner tonight, but I certainly did not deploy a date.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
    I think you have to be careful using an online thesaurus/dictionary without looking for examples in sentences.

I arranged a date with my partner tonight, but I certainly did not deploy a date.
    to arrange troops in a straight line or lines=to deploy troops in a straigh line or lines

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China

I know what deploy means. I was commenting on the danger of using synonyms without looking at examples of them in use.

I am a walking dictionary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
    I know what deploy means. I was commenting on the danger of using synonyms without looking at examples of them in use.

I am a walking dictionary.
    I never doubted it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    I never doubted it.
    I did write that in jest and I am happy you read it that way too!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Batfink,

I like to speak free, but I didn’t like to blab. Furthermore, I don’t like blabber. It makes little difference if he/she is from Ireland or somewhere else.

First, the mentioned synonyms above in my original post are from my personal dictionary and not from an “online thesaurus/dictionary”.

Second, I think, you have to put a restraint on your unbridled quarrelsomeness. You have to reserve yourself for your present job in China. Please, keep yours tendentious examples for your Chinese students.

There are some more elucidations in illustration of my statement.

. arrange, marshal, order, organize, sort, systematize. These verbs mean to distribute or dispose persons or things properly or methodically: arranging figures numerically; to marshal all relevant facts for presentation; ordered my chaotic life; organized the fundraiser; sorted the sweaters by color; systematized the assorted files.

arrange = to put into a deliberate order: array, deploy, dispose, marshal, order, organize, range, sort, systematize.

deploy = to distribute (persons or forces) systematically or strategically.

Feel free to forward the following examples to your students who as you probably know want to improve their English. You could also make the best use of them for replenishment and filling the gaps in your knowledge.

Human experts often have to travel to deploy their knowledge and are restricted by time and other business pressures.
    The UN plans to deploy 3,500 soldiers and the first 500 were due to arrive in Mogadishu today.
    The Western alliance decided to deploy new intermediate range nuclear missiles in Europe.
    During the miners' strike, for example it appears that the NRC could deploy some 13,000 police officers in a total of 416 PSUs.
    Teachers, that is, do not just decide to deploy particular skills because of their recognized professional worth and value.
    To take full advantage of these positive factors he needs to deploy the accumulated knowledge of his officials, married to presentational skills, tenacity and a…
    Nobody but the teacher can make such decisions or deploy such skills.
    Western strategists maintained that the proposal not to deploy nuclear weapons in the Persian Gulf would leave it under the umbrella of Soviet nuclear..
    The police have decided to deploy more than one hundred officers on what called a tidal flow operation.
    Such plans would be designed to deploy EEC agricultural, regional and social funds in an integrated manner.
    Britain will command a new NATO Rapid Reaction Corps ready to deploy quickly to counter any sudden threat.
    He called on the UN initially to deploy teams of military observers, but other Bosnian officials said yesterday they hoped a peace-keeping..
    The decision to deploy horses and the way that they were used was perfectly proper.
    The decision to deploy horses and the way that they were used was perfectly proper.
    Four teams deploy in pairs for a VCP task.
    There would therefore be ample time for them to deploy their mobile radiation monitoring teams, for the police to tour the area.
    From aeroplanes, too, researchers can deploy instruments that measure the Earth's magnetic field.

Sorry, I'm not so well-mannered like Banderas, but you have to know that I live in Varna on the Balkan penunsula and not in London.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • China

I think you need to calm down a little. I just posted that just because words are synonymous does not necessarily mean that they can be used in many different sentences. Go back to the posts and read them in that light. And try not to be insulting as it reveals nothing by way of advancing your argument/thesis/ expostulation et cetera.
    Last edited by Batfink; 29-Mar-2008 at 15:55.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast