• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Hi! are these sentences ok?

Hi! Could you help me correct these sentences (Simple past/present perfect)? Thanks a lot. Ripley.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1a Havenít tou heard what Dad said? You must go to bed at once. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']- But he has just gone out. Can't I watch some TV? [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1b Didnít you hear what Dad said? You must go to bed at once. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']- But he has just gone out. Can't I watch some TV?[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1c Havenít tou heard what Dad has said? You must go to bed at once. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']- But he has just gone out. Can't I watch some TV?[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']1d Didnít you hear what Dad has said? You must go to bed at once. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']2a -have you seen the block of flats they built at the foot of the hill? They're outrageous! [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']- [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Yes,l saw them when I went to see my mother the other 'day.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']2b -have you seen the block of flats they have built at the foot of the hill? They're outrageous! [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']3a Paola hasnít arrived yet. She said she was coming on the 4.30 train and itís almost 5.30. She has missed the train. Or perhaps they have changed the timetable. Did you check with the information office? [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']3b Paola hasnít arrived yet. She has said she was coming on the 4.30 train and itís almost 5.30. She has missed the train. Or perhaps they have changed the timetable. Have you checked with the information office? [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']4a What are all those police cars doing there? What has happened? [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There has been a robbery at the bank. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']4b What are all those police cars doing there? What happened? [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] There was a robbery at the bank. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']4c [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']What are all those police cars doing there? What has happened? [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']There was a robbery at the bank.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] What­ [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']happened[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] exactly? A man entered the bank and threatened the cashier with a [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']gun. But a client managed to slip out of the bank and raised the alarm. The police [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']came immediately.[/FONT]

Re: Hi! are these sentences ok?

Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    Hi! Could you help me correct these sentences (Simple past/present perfect)? Thanks a lot. Ripley.

1a Havenít you heard what Dad said? You must go to bed at once.

- But he has just gone out. Can't I watch some TV?

1b Didnít you hear what Dad said? You must go to bed at once.

1c Havenít you heard what Dad has said? You must go to bed at once.
    But he has just gone out. Can't I watch some TV?

1d Didnít you hear what Dad has said? You must go to bed at once.

All these are fine.

2a -Have you seen the block of flats they built at the foot of the hill? They're outrageous!
    Yes, l saw them when I went to see my mother the other day.

2b -Have you seen the block of flats they have built at the foot of the hill? They're outrageous!

Both are fine

3a Paola hasnít arrived yet. She said she was coming on the 4.30 train and itís almost 5.30. She has missed the train. Or perhaps they have changed the timetable. Did you check with the information office? Possible, but not as good as 3b.

3b Paola hasnít arrived yet. She has said she was coming on the 4.30 train and itís almost 5.30. She has missed the train. Or perhaps they have changed the timetable. Have you checked with the information office?

4a What are all those police cars doing there? What has happened?
    There has been a robbery at the bank.

4b What are all those police cars doing there? What happened? Colloquial and fairly common
    There was a robbery at the bank.

4c What are all those police cars doing there? What has happened?
    There was a robbery at the bank.
    What happened exactly?
    A man entered the bank and threatened the cashier with a gun. But a client managed to slip out of the bank and raised the alarm. The police came immediately.