• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

so far

But these computers are so far untested.
    But these computers have been untested so far.

Is there any difference between these two sentences? When should we use the present perfect tense with 'so far'?

Could I ask native English teachers to help me? Thank you very much.

Re: so far

Yes. We could use the past tense, or present perfect. Your question really is, what meaning/information are we conveying to the listener that we would use one or the other? What context would we be using one or the other?

What meaning/what is implied when someone says:
    "This electrical appliances are untested so far."

and when they phrase it:
    "These electrical appliances have not been tested so far." ?

Anyone?
    Last edited by David L.; 01-Apr-2008 at 10:05.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: so far

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Yes. We could use the past tense, or present perfect. Your question really is, what meaning/information are we conveying to the listener that we would use one or the other? What context would we be using one or the other?

What meaning/what is implied when someone says:
    "This electrical appliances are untested so far." conveying a sense of state

and when they phrase it:
    "These electrical appliances have not been tested so far." conveying a sense of action

Anyone?

What I had in mind was, in what situation would a person say either of these? When I'm in a situation, I don't have to think and decide, hmm, shall I use present tense or present perfect here??? There is a situation and that situation already has meaning in it. Let me show you:

I know that the UK has strict regulations governing the safety of electrical appliances, and what can be sold as 'passed'.
    I am overseas in some very small third world country, and see an electrical appliance for sale. I ask the very honest salesman whether it meets UK standards, and he says:
    "These appliances are untested so far."
    The meaning I gather from this is, that it is not tested and certified as meeting UK standards (so if I try to bring it back into the UK it may be rejected as 'unsafe' by customs; and if I manage to get it through, I may get electrocuted when I use it.)

I visit the building in the UK where the electricians work who test appliances being imported from overseas. One of the electricians points to an array of appliances which have all been rejected and will not be allowed as imports. He points to another table and says:

Electrician: "These appliances have not been tested so far."
    The meaning I gather is, that testing is underway, and that they are in the process of testing a lot of appliances, some of which have been rejected, but haven't got round to these yet. They will be testing these later that day, next day, sometime soon to determine whether they do or do not pass.

Each of these two men chose an expression which was appropriate for the situation. That's the difference and how one decides!
    Last edited by David L.; 01-Apr-2008 at 15:23.

So = let's change your original sentences, and others can have a go at applying it to them.
    Let's say the situation is James Bond taking to Q, who is equipping James with some new gadgets. He points to a Gizmo and says:

1. This Gizmo is so far untested.

2. This Gizmo has not been tested so far.

What would the implication be for James after Q said (1) or if Q said (2)?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Good question, I am following up this thread.

So, could 'so far' has different meanings?

for example:
    Mr Q talking to Agent 007:
    - This Gizmo is so far untested.

A teacher talking to her/his students:
    - The World War II was bla bla ..... Ok so far?

Thank you very much

You are talking about the different meanings of 'so far' as in :

1 to a certain limited extent : the commitment to free trade goes only so far. 2 (of a trend that seems likely to continue) up to this time : we've only had one honest man so far.
    ( in) so far as = to the extent that : it was a windless storm so far as blizzards go.
    so far, so good= progress has been satisfactory up to now : “How's the job going?” “So far, so good.”

The original post was about the use of 'so far' with present perfect tense; and that hinges on the meaning we want to get across with the tense. that's what I want to stick with for now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    The original post was about the use of 'so far' with present perfect tense; and that hinges on the meaning we want to get across with the tense. that's what I want to stick with for now.
    Thanks David, but, one more question, about the original post, you're trying to exaplain the differences between

1) But these computers are so far untested.
    2) But these computers have been untested so far

I've been following all your explanations up, and, If I don't misunderstood, the meaning is not affected by the "so far" position in those sentences, I mean, this has nothing to do with "so far" but with "TO BE" and "HAVE BEEN", Am I right?

These computers are untested
    These computers have been untested.

Isn't "so far" just a intensifier? for example, strongly?

Many thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

'Untested' as an adjective is fine.

But 'this computer has been untested' is incorrect, since it's not possible to untest something.

So say instead 'this computer has not been tested'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Dave Mortimer, I didn't notice that mistake. Sorry.
    So, what I'd like to know is whether "so far" is an intensifier in that sentence and it could be dropped, or, replaced by an adverb. By the way, is it an adverb?

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast