• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

Can you help me simplify this text

I am obliged to translate a text. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to translate it, written by a native speaker of American. Now, I am desperately looking for help or advise for translating or simplifying it. The part of the text is as follows:

"So I continue to listen like some wayward and bumbling pilgrim, thrumming to the ancient spells of Ezanís various summons, even as they elude me in the arabesques of my own ignorance that stretch from New York all the way to California and up and down both coasts to Canada and Mexico..."

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you help me simplify this text

hi ,
    this is lokesh .....i have something for you this might help you out .

n these lines author was trying to say that he was actuallyhaving a hard time understanding the situation ....he was not aware what and why things happening around him....thats what i conquered ......

"so i continue to listen like a naughty and awkward pilgrim , monotonously beating the ancient spells of ezans various court order to witness, even they are beyond my understanding in the melodies of my own ignorance that is linked to newyork to california and relates both the coasts to canada and mexico."

i

• Post Thanks / Like

It's a very strange sentence, and is probably obscure on purpose. More context - even a few paragraphs, or at least a little background - might be helpful.

Taken at face value, here's a shot at it for you:

"I continue to listen like a confused tourist, trying to make sense of Ezan's unfamiliar sounds, limited as I was by my ignorance of anything non-American."

That would appear to be the core meaning, although it loses almost all of the original text's 'poetry'.

- Q

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies here is another:

"This is no clever stab at metaphor, nor a way to apologize for what I and millions of other; Westerners don't understand: it's simply how it is within the precincts of a vast and privileged nation strangely isolated from the rest of the world, even as we export our movies and images and goods to often vexed and ambivalent buyers, as well as those so eager to consume them"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

"This is no clever stab at metaphor, nor a way to apologize for what I and millions of other; Westerners don't understand: it's simply how it is within the precincts of a vast and privileged nation strangely isolated from the rest of the world, even as we export our movies and images and goods to often vexed and ambivalent buyers, as well as those so eager to consume them"

I'm not sure whether I can help you. I have tried to paraphrase this sentence to make it easier for your to understand the sense.

Although we export our movies (etc.) to buyers, that are often annoyed and ambivalent as well as to those who are strongly interested in consuming them
    there are some precincts in a huge and priviliged nation that are strangely isolated from the rest of the world.

p.s. no clever stab at metaphor means that the metaphor was misused, it caused misunderstandings.

Hope that helps,
    Snowcake
    Last edited by Snowcake; 03-Apr-2008 at 02:34.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meridiem View Post
    Thanks for the replies here is another:

"This is no clever stab at metaphor, nor a way to apologize for what I and millions of other Westerners don't understand: it's simply how it is within the precincts of a vast and privileged nation strangely isolated from the rest of the world, even as we export our movies and images and goods to often vexed and ambivalent buyers, as well as those so eager to consume them"
    My interpretation:

I am not trying to apologize for what we Westerners do not understand. That is how it is in a vast nation that is isolated from the rest of the world, even though our culture and products are exported widely, to both ambivalent and eager consumers.