Teacher

Hi,

I have difficulty in undertanding the following sentence "From the beginning of the end of its life, one car produces..." I understand what "the beginning of the end" means but it is hard to understand it in this sentence. I would be so grateful if somebody could explain me the meaning of the sentence...

Re: Teacher

Welcome to the forums.

"The beginning of the end" = the point at which the car starts costing money in order to keep it running.

BUT - the full sentence may show a different meaning, so please give us the complete context.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Halin View Post
    Hi,

I have difficulty in undertanding the following sentence "From the beginning of the end of its life, one car produces..." I understand what "the beginning of the end" means but it is hard to understand it in this sentence. I would be so grateful if somebody could explain me the meaning of the sentence...

I'm not a teacher, but I would understand this to mean that from some point (unstated here) designated as "the beginning of the end of the car's life, it produces..." So, as an example, if the author defined the end of a car's life as the last three years of its usable life, the sentence could read, "in the last three years of its life,..." I would have found that sort of construction clearer and easier to follow, too.

Hi,

here is the complete context:

"The car is an ecological disaster. It is now the world`s number one polluter. From the beginning of the end of its life, one car produces an enormous quantity of pollution".

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi,

"The car is an ecological disaster. It is now the world`s number one polluter. From the beginning of the end of its life, one car produces an enormous quantity of pollution".

Thanks a lot in advance!

Smile Re: Teacher

Hi,

"The car is an ecological disaster. It is now world`s number one polluter. From the beginning of its life, one car produces an enormous quantity of pollution".

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

"The beginning of the end" = the point at which the car starts costing money in order to keep it running.

BUT - the full sentence may show a different meaning, so please give us the complete context.

Quote Originally Posted by Halin View Post
    Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Then it's got to be: "From the beginning TO the end of its life..."
    In this context, OF is unacceptable.