• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

didn't know...are

1. I did n't know there are minefields.

2. I never knew Egypt was so large.
    3. I never knew you had a twin sister.

Sentence 1 comes from BNC, and sentences 2 & 3 come from OXFORD. I'd like to know if the present simple is correct in the object clause and can be used safely.

Could I ask native English teachers to help me please? Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: didn't know...are

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    1. I did n't know there are minefields. except that you can not separate "did" and "n't".

2. I (didn't know)(never knew) Egypt was so large. I would say this if I am talking about Egypt of the past.
    However, native speakers will often say this for the present situation too, but I think it is better to use past tense for the past situation only.

I (didn't know)(never knew) Egypt is so large. if you are talking about Egypt now.

3. I (didn't know)(never knew) you had a twin sister. I would say this if I am talking about the past. (that is, you no longer have a twin sister)
    Again, native speakers will often say this even if you still have a twin sister, but again I think it is better to use "had" only for a past situation and to use "have" for the present situation.

I (didn't know)(never knew) you have a twin sister. if one is talking about the present. (you still have a twin sister)

Sentence 1 comes from BNC, and sentences 2 & 3 come from OXFORD. I'd like to know if the present simple is correct in the object clause and can be used safely.

Could I ask native English teachers to help me please? Thank you very much.