• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Piracy

Hello teachers, could you proofread my text?

Piracy is an act of copying or distributing protected works or products without the permission of the true owner/author of an intellectual property, it may include, for example, software, clothes, drugs, beverages, anything that can be easy for transportation and distribution. The one who commits this crime, piracy, is called a pirate, so, if you are using non-free software and you did not pay for it, then you are a pirate. However, nodaways, almost everybody is a pirate, there are countries where piracy controls over 60% of the economy. Many have tried to explain piracy, Economists, Journalists, experts in Economics and so on, they have pointed out three main factors: 1) products or services are too much expensive; 2) Poor countries have poor people with poor education and that explains it a lot and so on; 3) It's really easy to be a pirate, some can't avoid being a pirate, others say there are companies that help and contribute to piracy.

Thank you for your time.

By the way, what would you have to say about piracy in your country?

Thanks a thousand !!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: Piracy

I'm not a teacher, but here's my attempt:

Piracy is the act of copying or distributing protected works or products without the permission of the true owner or author. It may include software, clothes, drugs, beverages, or indeed anything that can be easily transported and distributed. Someone who commits piracy is called a pirate, so if you are using non-free software and you did not pay for it, then you are a pirate. However, nodaways, almost everybody is a pirate. There are countries where piracy accounts for more than 60% of the economy. Many have tried to explain piracy, including economists, journalists, experts in economics and others. They have pointed out three main factors: 1) products or services are much too expensive; 2) Poor countries have poor people with poor education and that explains it a lot and so on; 3) It's really easy to be a pirate. Some say that you can't avoid being a pirate, others say there are companies that help and contribute to piracy.
    Last edited by stuartnz; 03-Apr-2008 at 06:02. Reason: missed a spelling error: transported not transportated

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

stuartnzRe: Piracy
    I'm not a teacher, but here's my attempt:

Piracy is the act of copying or distributing protected works or products without the permission of the true owner or author. It may include software, clothes, drugs, beverages,

Why not "softwares" but "software" in this sentence? Please.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

hey fellow, this a difference between languages, in Portuguese, software is countable, in English, is not. I guess so is chinese, right?

Please, teachers, is this short text OK? I guess so is Chinese?

Thanks