• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool one or two words??

Hi,

I'm getting often confused with words that I read on Internet or on movies subtitles like for example: bloodlust and when I digit them on my PC, the word corrector underlines it in red and suggests blood lust instead. Same for bullhorner on subtitles which is corrected into bull horner. Subtitles are fully reliable, aren't they? Why are there so many disagreements in the English spelling?

Re: one or two words??

Quote Originally Posted by bieasy View Post
    Hi,

I'm getting often confused with words that I read on Internet or on movies subtitles like for example: bloodlust and when I digit them on my PC, the word corrector underlines it in red and suggests blood lust instead. Same for bullhorner on subtitles which is corrected into bull horner. Subtitles are fully reliable, aren't they? Why are there so many disagreements in the English spelling?
    Subtitles are not fully reliable - and the problem with your PC may be the spellcheck and dictionary systems it uses. These are notoriously picky and spelling can depend on who compiled them.

Bloodlust to me is a single word, and I would not expect it as two or even hyphenated; the same for bullhorn.

Both these words used to be two words, then became hyphenated, and then lost their hyphens - that is known as evolution

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool Re: one or two words??

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Subtitles are not fully reliable - and the problem with your PC may be the spellcheck and dictionary systems it uses. These are notoriously picky and spelling can depend on who compiled them.

Bloodlust to me is a single word, and I would not expect it as two or even hyphenated; the same for bullhorn.

Both these words used to be two words, then became hyphenated, and then lost their hyphens - that is known as evolution
    Darwin should have foreseen it Thank you!