Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 189
    #1

    Ukraine

    i am really puzzled about articles for place names:
    country names normally have zero articles but the USA, the Newtherlands, and so on.i can understand it.
    but the Ukraine, why does it have a the?
    was Ukraine a historical country? was the Ukraine a historical region?
    your help will be so appreciated

  1. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    #2

    Re: Ukraine

    I'm not a teacher, but I have been reading recently that many Ukrainian people strongly object to their country being called in English, "The Ukraine". Just as they want English to transliterate their capital the Ukrainian way, Kyiv, rather than the Russian way, Kiev, so they want English speakers to use their country's official name, which is simply "Ukraine". I'm not sure what the origins of the practice of calling it "The Ukraine" were, but it's a practice to be avoided, it seems.

  2. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #3

    Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    I'm not a teacher, but I have been reading recently that many Ukrainian people strongly object to their country being called in English, "The Ukraine". Just as they want English to transliterate their capital the Ukrainian way, Kyiv, rather than the Russian way, Kiev, so they want English speakers to use their country's official name, which is simply "Ukraine". I'm not sure what the origins of the practice of calling it "The Ukraine" were, but it's a practice to be avoided, it seems.
    I agree wit Stuart. When the region formerly known as “The Ukraine” split off from the old Soviet Union, it declared its preference for dropping the article, and the country is now properly called simply “Ukraine.”
    Ukraine or "the Ukraine"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 189
    #4

    Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    I agree wit Stuart. When the region formerly known as “The Ukraine” split off from the old Soviet Union, it declared its preference for dropping the article, and the country is now properly called simply “Ukraine.”
    Ukraine or "the Ukraine"?
    thank both of you.
    i am sorry to make that mistake

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #5

    Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by norwolf View Post
    thank both of you.
    i am sorry to make that mistake
    you are welcome!

Similar Threads

  1. "{The} Ukraine"
    By LwyrFirat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2007, 04:10
  2. from ukraine
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2007, 15:11
  3. The Hague and The Ukraine
    By Ducklet Cat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2006, 17:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •