• Post Thanks / Like

Post airy appellation

If so, you may deserve to be labeled a "luftmensch." That airy appellation is an adaptation of the Yiddish "luftmentsh," which breaks down into "luft" (a Germanic root meaning "air" that is also related to the English words "loft" and "lofty") plus "mentsh," meaning "human being."

what does airy in this sentence mean? does it mean "unreal;illusory"? many thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: airy appellation

Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi jesson cui,

Generally speaking there are the following synonyms of the word in question. I am unable to give a definite answer under given conditions. There is no a synonymous context in your inquiry.
    airy (adj.) = SYNONYMS airy, diaphanous, ethereal, filmy, gauzy, gossamer, sheer, transparent, vaporous. These adjectives mean so light and insubstantial as to resemble air or a thin film: airy curtains blowing at the window; a diaphanous veil; ethereal mist; the filmy wings of a moth; gauzy clouds in the sky; a gown of gossamer fabric; sheer silk stockings; transparent chiffon; vaporous shadows at dusk.
    For example I know one term that is close to that one in your original post (Luftmensch). namely “airy fairy”.
    airy fairy (n) = One that is insubstantial or impractical: “They'd wanted him for Ambassador in Paris but he'd turned it down; he'd no patience with the airy-fairies”

airy (adj.)
    insubstantial or impractical: “You are talking about some airy fairy concept which will never come in my lifetime”
    In German language:
    aus der Luft gegriffen, (inf.) hübsch

There is another expression in English language:

In an airy manner; lightly; gaily; jauntily;

Regards.

V.