• Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

There being

Hi,

I read the following first sentence in the media. I re-wrote the sentence to get rid of ‘there being’ as I wanted to use only active voice in the sentence. Does the sentence sound right?

1. Australia’s market is not stringently regulated compared to other global REITs as evidenced by there being no listing requirements, gearing or interest coverage limits, limits on development, and restrictions on diversification.

2. Australia’s market is not stringently regulated compared to other global REITs as evidenced by the absence of listing requirements, gearing or interest coverage limits, limits on development, and restrictions on diversification.

Thanks,

MG.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: There being

Yes, it is fine

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musicgold View Post
    Hi,

I read the following first sentence in the media. I re-wrote the sentence to get rid of ‘there being’ as I wanted to use only active voice in the sentence. Does the sentence sound right?

Did you mean to say "passive voice", MG?

1. Australia’s market is not stringently regulated compared to other global REITs as evidenced by there being no listing requirements, gearing or interest coverage limits, limits on development, and restrictions on diversification.

2. Australia’s market is not stringently regulated compared to other global REITs as evidenced by the absence of listing requirements, gearing or interest coverage limits, limits on development, and restrictions on diversification.

Thanks,

MG.
    $$

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swahili
      • Home Country:
      • Congo
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

riverkid,

The part of the first sentence using 'there being' is in passive voice. In the second sentence I used active voice instead.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musicgold View Post
    riverkid,

The part of the first sentence using 'there being' is in passive voice. In the second sentence I used active voice instead.
    Hello MusicGold.

I'm not so sure that you have the passive voice in "there being", althought I could be shown that I'm mistaken. It can be paraphrased as "there exists" or "there is".

I went to the store, and there being some fresh corn on the cob, I bought a few dozen.

The underlined part says,

"and there was some fresh corn on the cob".

For the passive we need,

S + was or were + being + past participle

Example: He was being frisked by the police when he dropped dead.

They were being welcomed by the PM when shots rang out.

But your sentence, overall, is filled with the passive.

Australia’s market is not stringently regulated [when it is compared to other global REITs as [it is] evidenced by the absence of listing requirements, gearing or interest coverage limits, limits on development, and restrictions on diversification.