The definition of "set in tumble"

HI, all:

I would like to know what is the meaning of " set in tumble". Would you please help?? Thanks.

Re: The definition of "set in tumble"

When asking for the meaning of what might seem a phrase to you, it is important that you give the full sentence, if not paragraph, where you found this written.
    " set in tumble" is NOT a phrase in English.

the full sentence would be, 'a cutlery set in tumble polish finish"

"tumble polishing" is a method of smoothing and polishing rocks, metal and glass, done with some abrasive material acting on the material, and lubricated with soap or some such.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi ianatkingston,

I think the expression in question definitely is an English phrase which is wide-spread in Business English.
    Stocks Set to Tumble amid Bear, Fed News

GM Stocs Set to Tumble
    Bandwidth prices set to tumble as BT exploits Asian fiber frenzy - Company Business and Marketing

Proceeding from the following below excerpt from an article I am able to give an acceptable explanation of the expression “set to tumble”.

European Real Estate: Set to Tumble?

A moderate slowdown is more likely, says S&P Ratings, though Spain's sizzling growth raises concerns

Demographic, financial, and structural factors are powering the current boom in the majority of Europe's real estate markets. Nevertheless, double-digit house-price inflation cannot be sustained indefinitely, and legitimate reasons exist to fear that the boom may turn into a crash. We at Standard & Poor's Ratings Services consider a moderate slowdown is more likely for these markets, however.

My free interpretation of the expression in question is somehow or other given below.

set to tumble = turn upside the things – make a mess of things, confuse things, get into a tangle

Regards.

V.

OH DEAR.
    did you mean set TO tumble?

With three words to type, I did think that that MUST be what you wanted to know about!

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    When asking for the meaning of what might seem a phrase to you, it is important that you give the full sentence, if not paragraph, where you found this written.
    " set in tumble" is NOT a phrase in English.

the full sentence would be, 'a cutlery set in tumble polish finish"

"tumble polishing" is a method of smoothing and polishing rocks, metal and glass, done with some abrasive material acting on the material, and lubricated with soap or some such.
    Hi, David L.:

Thanks for the advise.
    The full sentence is " the market would be SET IN TUMBLE since then because...........". That's why I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi ianatkingston,

I think the expression in question definitely is an English phrase which is wide-spread in Business English.
    Stocks Set to Tumble amid Bear, Fed News

GM Stocs Set to Tumble
    Bandwidth prices set to tumble as BT exploits Asian fiber frenzy - Company Business and Marketing

Proceeding from the following below excerpt from an article I am able to give an acceptable explanation of the expression “set to tumble”.

European Real Estate: Set to Tumble?

A moderate slowdown is more likely, says S&P Ratings, though Spain's sizzling growth raises concerns

Demographic, financial, and structural factors are powering the current boom in the majority of Europe's real estate markets. Nevertheless, double-digit house-price inflation cannot be sustained indefinitely, and legitimate reasons exist to fear that the boom may turn into a crash. We at Standard & Poor's Ratings Services consider a moderate slowdown is more likely for these markets, however.

My free interpretation of the expression in question is somehow or other given below.

set to tumble = turn upside the things – make a mess of things, confuse things, get into a tangle

Regards.

V.
    Thank you, Vil. I now believed it should be a typo or an erro.