Question Someone and anyone in a question

On the quiz below, the answer to Does ... know the answer? is only "anybody".

If the rule says we can use either "someone" or "anyone" in questions, why is "someone" wrong in this case?

Someone, Anyone or No one? - Online Language Quiz - UsingEnglish.com

Q2 - Does _____ know the answer?
    anyone
    someone
    Either could be used here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Someone and anyone in a question

Any would be much more common - it's really the only possible choice if the speaker is really unsure whether anyone does. But I can imagine a scene where a native speaker says 'Does someone know the answer?', with the implication "Surely you can't expect me to believe that not a single one of you knows the answer"; it's not the language of a careful speaker, but I can imagine it being said.

So if you chose 'Either', don't be too hard on yourself!

b

Re: Someone and anyone in a question

I got it. Thanks. It's a little tricky to explain to students, though. They like to rely on rules.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Any would be much more common - it's really the only possible choice if the speaker is really unsure whether anyone does. But I can imagine a scene where a native speaker says 'Does someone know the answer?', with the implication "Surely you can't expect me to believe that not a single one of you knows the answer"; it's not the language of a careful speaker, but I can imagine it being said.

So if you chose 'Either', don't be too hard on yourself!

b