• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Question Some corrections to be made.

Hi dear teachers!
    I was asked to write the introduction page of the reader book our organization is going to publish for younger children aged 4 or 5 years. Since I'm not very good at English and lack confidence, I'd like to make a humble request to you to please correct my mistakes before I submit it to the authority. Wherever I have a doubt about something, I've bolded it to draw your special attention.
    "The series of "Yaqeen English Reader" has been designed to help the children to develop the habit of reading and to familiarize them with the basic words in English. It consists of pre-reading exercises, comprehension and vocabulary exercises. Phonics plays an important role in reading therefore phonic drills and rules have been given to make it easy for the children to pronounce words with correct pronunciation. Also, great care has been taken in choosing words that they should be of everyday use.
    In order to help students understand and retain new vocabulary, new words in most units have been divided into two types, words for recognition only and words for production.
    Vocabulary exercises have been designed in such a way that helps children to understand contextual clues about the meanings of words. Illustrations are there to relate them with the material.
    This book will help the children to practise the sounds of English words which they find especially troublesome.
    Pronunciation practice is provided in minimal word pairs and exercises are based on both vowel and consonant sounds.
    We look forward to your constructive feedback to further improve this book."
    Best regards!
    Dawood

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Some corrections to be made.

Dawood, check your PM.

Amigo

"The "Yaqeen English Reader" series has been designed to help children develop their enjoyment of reading and to familiarize them with basic words in English. It consists of pre-reading exercises, comprehension and vocabulary exercises. Phonics plays an important role in reading so that phonic drills and rules have been included to simplify correct pronunciation. Also, great care has been taken in choosing words that they should be of everyday use.
    In order to help students understand and retain new vocabulary, new words
    have, for the most part, been divided into two types: words for recognition only and words for production.
    Vocabulary exercises have been designed in such a way that children
    are helped to understand how context provides clues as to the meanings of words. Illustrations are included which link these clues to the material.
    These books will help children to practice the sounds of English words that they find especially troublesome.
    Pronunciation practice is provided by exercises using pairs of short words, based on both vowel and consonant sounds.

We look forward to your constructive feedback toward any future revision of this book.
    Last edited by David L.; 12-Apr-2008 at 11:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Question Re: Some corrections to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    "The "Yaqeen English Reader" series
    You talk as if there is one book, yet here you are writing as if there is a series (which suggests at least 3-4). And in the passage below, you speak of 'this book'.

has been designed to help children develop their enjoyment of reading and to familiarize them with basic words in English. It consists of pre-reading exercises, comprehension and vocabulary exercises. Phonics plays an important role in reading so that phonic drills and rules have been included to simplify correct pronunciation. Also, great care has been taken in choosing words that they should be of everyday use.
    In order to help students understand and retain new vocabulary, new words
    have, for the most part, been divided into two types: words for recognition only and words for production.
    Vocabulary exercises have been designed in such a way that children
    are helped to understand how context provides clues as to the meanings of words. Illustrations are included which relate

them : is this the children, or the clues??

with the material.

This book will help children to practise those sounds of English words which they find especially troublesome.
    Pronunciation practice is provided in

minimal : not sure what you mean.

word pairs and exercises are based on both vowel and consonant sounds.

We look forward to your constructive feedback toward any future revision of this book.

to further improve this book." : this has the implication, it still NEEDS improving!
    You talk as if there is one book, yet here you are writing as if there is a series (which suggests at least 3-4). And in the passage below, you speak of 'this book'. This is actually a series of three books.
    them : is this the children, or the clues? This is clues.
    minimal : not sure what you mean. I mean small words.
    word pairs and exercises are based on both vowel and consonant sounds. Why did you write this sentence in green colour and separately? I didn't understand really.
    Looking forward to the answer...
    Dawood

Have edited and updated my original post.
    Still unsure about "These books will help children to practise "
    Perhaps it should be 'this book' if this is the first in the series AND THE FORMAT OF THE OTHERS WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
    By this I mean, all the drills and excercises: will they be repeated but with more advanced material/vaocabulary, or is the format of each book likely to be very different.
    If unsure, go with "This book, the first in the series, ..."
    It's just that you start with 'series' and end up singular.
    Last edited by David L.; 12-Apr-2008 at 11:02.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Hi once again!
    Why is the use of "they" correct in the following sentence? Someone told me that the use of they is grammatically incorrect. The reason he is giving is that we have already a relative pronoun "that" so, the word "they" is unnecessary here. It should be omitted. is he right? I'm very much confused. Please help!
    Dawood

Do you mean the sentence,
    '...in choosing words that they should be of everyday use.'

I wanted to keep your sentence structure as much as possible. (Obviously, every sentence you wrote could be recast in another form, just because it can, or because it is my style of writing. Imagine what it would be like for someone posting a query like yours, to find the whole thing completely rewritten...as if everything you had written was wrong!)

Anyway...the inclusion of 'that' is imperative here, and has the sense of "for the very purpose that' , 'specifically so'. Let me put it in that form:

'Great care has been taken in choosing the words we have used, for the specific reason that we want them to be/ they should be/ of everyday use.'

'that' is not a relative pronoun in this sentence but a conjunction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Thank you very very much. You've been very helpful. You've cleared my confusion as well as my friend's misconception. Be blessed!
    Best regard!
    Dawood