• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

have a ways to go

When I searched Corpus of American English, I was very interested to find a lot of sentences with 'have a ways to go'. But I found none in BNC. Is 'have a ways to go' American English? And good American English? I guess it means 'have a long way to go'. Am I right?

Could I ask native English teachers to help me? Thank you very much.

American cars have definitely gotten better, but I think they still have a ways to go.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: have a ways to go

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    When I searched Corpus of American English, I was very interested to find a lot of sentences with 'have a ways to go'. But I found none in BNC. Is 'have a ways to go' American English? And good American English? I guess it means 'have a long way to go'. Am I right?

American cars have definitely gotten better, but I think they still have a ways to go.

Hi Joham
    I am not a practicing teacher but have TEFL qualifications and I am a native English speaker.

The expression is in daily use, but with a slight alteration. I have always said 'have a way to go' which as you rightly say, means 'a long way to go'. or still plenty of room for improvement.
    Kind regards

Stilo

I think we are talking about two different things:

Shares have a way to go before they hit rock bottom. (Actual mileage not intended!)

"Don't go flagging yet. We still have a ways to go before we reach the summit."

Both are in use in the U.K.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post

Hi David L

But do you not think that in the way Joham has used it, it should read ' a way to go'?

Perhaps it is because I am a born and bred Northener!
    Stilo
    Stilo

Yes. We are referring to some aspect of the cars such as design or performance. "They still have a way to go before they can compete successfully with..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi joham,
    I am neither a teacher, nor a NES, and as well I am not a Northener!
    I personally would prefer to hear a proper explanation in broken English than unsatisfactory explanation in lordly Northern English. In all probability soon we should to secure not only good football players for Great England (like our irreplaceable Berbatov) but as well good interpreters of English language.
    Regarding the matter in question I support the DavidL’s statement than this one of the Stilo.
    There are my speculations:
    way to go (idiom) Way to Go!: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Well done, as in That was a great lecture--way to go! This exclamation of approval and encouragement originated in sports, addressed to athletes who are performing well. In the 1960s it began to be used for any kind of achievement.

There are a few examples of British National Corpus BYU-BNC - Google търсене

Ultimately, though, Live have a way to go if they are to find the rock niche they seek and "Mental Jewelry".
    ..a great deal in the last fifty years, we still have a way to go and our self esteem is lower than men.

The USA still have a way to go to understand high gas and oil prices. Because of
    high taxes, in the UK we are already paying the equivalent of $8.00 per US ...

There are a few my personel speculations and a few examples from Internet:
    a way to go = a coarse of action, modus operandi,change to better
    in one way or another
    Is there a way to go directly to someones voicemail without there phone ringing?

Yes there is a way. There are a couple ways you can do it depending on your carrier. The easiest way is if you both have the same carrier......

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi joham,
    I am neither a teacher, nor a NES, and as well I am not a Northener!
    I personally would prefer to hear a proper explanation in broken English than unsatisfactory explanation in lordly Northern English. In all probability soon we should to secure not only good football players for Great England (like our irreplaceable Berbatov) but as well good interpreters of English language.
    Regarding the matter in question I support the DavidL’s statement than this one of the Stilo.
    There are my speculations:
    way to go (idiom) Way to Go!: Information and Much More from Answers.com

Well done, as in That was a great lecture--way to go! This exclamation of approval and encouragement originated in sports, addressed to athletes who are performing well. In the 1960s it began to be used for any kind of achievement.

There are a few examples of British National Corpus BYU-BNC - Google търсене

Ultimately, though, Live have a way to go if they are to find the rock niche they seek and "Mental Jewelry".
    ..a great deal in the last fifty years, we still have a way to go and our self esteem is lower than men.

The USA still have a way to go to understand high gas and oil prices. Because of
    high taxes, in the UK we are already paying the equivalent of $8.00 per US ...

There are a few my personel speculations and a few examples from Internet:
    a way to go = a coarse of action, modus operandi,change to better
    in one way or another
    Is there a way to go directly to someones voicemail without there phone ringing?

Yes there is a way. There are a couple ways you can do it depending on your carrier. The easiest way is if you both have the same carrier......

Regards.

V.
    Vil Why do you have to be so personal and so rude in a number of your replies? It is very offensive.! I was replying to David L and he agreed with me, if you take the time to read the thread. I suggest you try to chill out.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    than unsatisfactory explanation in lordly Northern English.
    OK, this is just creating ill feeling and making things sour. Please stop it. If you don't stop it, then I will have to.