Lightbulb set in for sth/sb = to stand up for ?

Hi, can anybody confirm that the sentence " She set in for her own interests" has the same meaning as " She stood up for her own interests" ( which I read, without remembering WHERE) ? If not, what DOES it mean? Thanks, joshueber

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: set in for sth/sb = to stand up for ?

I'm not a teacher. Presumably, you are confusing it with the German expression (sich einsetzen für etwas).

'to set in' means to begin to happen (also 'to insert' or 'to move towards the shore').

Consumer caution sets in for key Christmas period.

It all caused fear to set in for her.

The true reality will set in for her and only then will she realise that he is away.

This rain looks as if it has set in for the rest of the week.

Are you sure you remember the sentence correctly?

Also I can find no dictionary evidence to back up the meaning you suggested.

Thus "to set in for something" is no idiomatic expression.

Perhaps other users can help?

Thanks for the answer. Ich habe den Satz in einer H.Clinton Biografie gelesen, die anderen Bedeutungen von set in sind mir schon klar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Providing that your sentence is right, I guess the sentence is saying that 'she appeared on the scene ...'

Maybe a native speaker can comment on that.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Smile Re: set in for sth/sb = to stand up for ?

Quote Originally Posted by joshueber View Post
    Hi, can anybody confirm that the sentence " She set in for her own interests" has the same meaning as " She stood up for her own interests" ( which I read, without remembering WHERE) ? If not, what DOES it mean? Thanks, joshueber
    I'm inclined to agree with Snowcake on this. I wonder if you are quoting the material correctly. If you are, the next thing I'd wonder is whether or not there is a misprint in the original.

My feeling is that the sentence should read: "She sat in for her own interests," and even that is a bit clumsy.

Without having read your reference, I think the intention is to say that Ms. Clinton "sat in" on something or other (a conference, a meeting), for her own reasons. That her reasons (interests) were not necessarily evident, or in correspondence to the reasons others at the same event might have had.

It's just a thought!

Viel Glueck!