Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    rehte is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Smile What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    How do you pronounce "Ciao"?
    Some of my foreign colleagues use this word for greetings in their emails. What is its pronunciation? I am very puzzled.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    shalstudent's Avatar
    shalstudent is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Teacher (Other)
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,356

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Its pronounced as "Chou".
    "Ch" as in Channel and "Ou" as in "owl".
    It is used either as a greeting or parting such as goodbye.

  3. #3
    rehte is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Thank you very much!
    It is not like a traditional English word.

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,397

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    "Chow"

    It isn't English. It is Italian.

  5. #5
    CJ 4 life is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    31

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Quote Originally Posted by shalstudent View Post
    Its pronounced as "Chou".
    "Ch" as in Channel and "Ou" as in "owl".
    It is used either as a greeting or parting such as goodbye.
    Absolutely incorrect. Its pronounciation includes 3 sounds. The first one is the "ch" of "channel", the second one is a "ah" as in the first part of the diphthong in "out", and the third one is a closed "o", like the first part of the diphthong in "know" (in American English of course). Just produce the three sounds one after the other.
    I'm Italian, so I know this stuff.

  6. #6
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,397

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ 4 life View Post
    Absolutely incorrect. Its pronunciation includes 3 sounds. The first one is the "ch" of "channel", the second one is a "ah" as in the first part of the diphthong in "out", and the third one is a closed "o", like the first part of the diphthong in "know" (in American English of course). Just produce the three sounds one after the other.
    I'm Italian, so I know this stuff.
    Ah - but will an American [or a Brit] pronounce it in this way?

  7. #7
    dOlier Guest

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Ah - but will an American [or a Brit] pronounce it in this way?

    Yes!
    At least this Hiberno-English speaker pronounces two vowels: ah oh

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ 4 life View Post
    Absolutely incorrect. Its pronounciation includes 3 sounds. The first one is the "ch" of "channel", the second one is a "ah" as in the first part of the diphthong in "out", and the third one is a closed "o", like the first part of the diphthong in "know" (in American English of course). Just produce the three sounds one after the other.
    I'm Italian, so I know this stuff.
    Naturally, you're right. But you'll have as much hope of getting English people to say it that way as you would have getting them not to pronounce the 'i' in names like Giovanni and Giuseppe.

  9. #9
    CJ 4 life is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    31

    Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Naturally, you're right. But you'll have as much hope of getting English people to say it that way as you would have getting them not to pronounce the 'i' in names like Giovanni and Giuseppe.
    Looking up in the English dictionary, I found the "ch ah u" writing. So we can say that there are two ways to pronounce it: the Italian one (where the words comes from) and the American one, even though the two pronunciation are very very close to each other (you may not notice it).

  10. #10
    dancewnd! is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    8

    Red face Re: What's the pronunciation of "Ciao"?

    the correct pronounciation is /t∫aυ/.... it is used especially in informal conversation...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •