1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Question where or what?

I have just confused which is correct to say " What did you visit yesterday?" or "Where did you visit yesterday? " If both are correct, how can I use them differently? I am waiting for your advice.

Re: where or what?

Quote Originally Posted by fumi View Post
    I have just confused which is correct to say " What did you visit yesterday?" or "Where did you visit yesterday? " If both are correct, how can I use them differently? I am waiting for your advice.
    As you know, 'where' is used for places/locations and 'what' is used for activities/things. Thus, 'where did you visit yesterday ?' seems to be more correct than 'what did you visit yesterday ?'.

However, it is more correct to say 'where did you GO yesterday ?' As in 'where did you go yesterday and what did you visit ?' (I went to Paris and I visited the Eiffel Tower).

We can also imagine someone enquiring; 'and what did you visit yesterday ?' with the emphasis on the 'yesterday' (rather than the day before).

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thank you very much for your answer. I have to learn more about natural English expression method than about gramatical form. Thank you again for your clear explanation for my question.

I believe "Where did you visit today" is correct

I believe "Where did you visit today" is correct.