• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow Does my quote seem ok?

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi again, do you see the same contradiction in the following statement, as well as me: "In a sample of over 1800 dreams collected by dream researcher Calvin Hall, American women dreamed about both men and women, while men dreamed about men twice as often as about women." I see no consistency between the last two phrases. The second one doesn't mean that men didn't dream about both men and women, and the first one doesn't show if women dreamed about men and women as much as men did. What do you think?

Re: Does my quote seem ok?

I do not find this contradiction.

The research showed that women dreamed [equally] about men and women, but that men dreamed twice as many times about men than about women.

In this extract there is no statistic about how much more or less than each other either group dreamed about men or women.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Does using "both" in this exerpt means that those women dreamed about men as much as women?
    How could say " there is no statistic " in it, while you mentioned that
    men dreamed twice as many times about men than about women?! How do you think this researher got this proportion without doing some statistics?!

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    Does using "both" in this excerpt means that those women dreamed about men as much as women? Yes

How could say " there is no statistic " in it, while you mentioned that
    men dreamed twice as many times about men than about women?! How do you think this researcher got this proportion without doing some statistics?!
    You have misunderstood me and I may have misunderstood you.

It would help to know if the 1800 dreams collected were equally divided between the research groups of men and women - that is, 900 dreams from women, and 900 from men, how many were involved in the research groups, and whether the research findings are based on calculated percentages. All we can say is that Hall's report stated that men dreamt about men more than about women whereas there was no difference for women as to whether they dreamt of men or women.

So no, we don't know if women dreamt of men or women as often or less often then men dreamt of men or women. There is no statistical data to tell us.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Sorry, Anglika, the falt is mine. My questions on this quote shouldn't be that confusing. Please, give me the chance to start over. When I say: American women dreamed about both men and women, does both here mean that those women dreamed about men as many as women? Yes or no?

Yes, the women dreamed about men as much as they dreamed about women.