• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

have gone on

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to interpred the following sentence in bold with the help of plain English words.

The alleged blackout may often have gone on for up to an hour.During a genuine faint there is an actual loss of consciousness because the brain is temporarily deprived of blood.

I know at least 9 different meaning of the expression “go on” but I give preference at the present case on the meaning “continue”.

There are some more examples with the usage of the expression in question:

The good life might well have gone on indefinitely.
    I feel that these difficulties have gone on too long for there to be a realistic prospect of change in time for..
    Similar struggles have gone on in many of the successor republics (some are still firmly authoritarian) and…
    I could have gone on scoring all night, oh yeah, you don't get tired.
    However, none of the studies have gone on long enough to make reliable predictions.
    Maybe Desert Storm should have gone on at least to Basrah, if not indeed to Baghdad.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Re: have gone on

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to interpred the following sentence in bold with the help of plain English words.

The alleged blackout may often have gone on for up to an hour.During a genuine faint there is an actual loss of consciousness because the brain is temporarily deprived of blood.

I know at least 9 different meaning of the expression “go on” but I give preference at the present case on the meaning “continue”. lasted for up to an hour/with a duration of up to an hour

There are some more examples with the usage of the expression in question:

The good life might well have gone on indefinitely. have continued
    I feel that these difficulties have gone on too long for there to be a realistic prospect of change in time for.. have lasted
    Similar struggles have gone on in many of the successor republics (some are still firmly authoritarian) and… have taken place/happened
    I could have gone on scoring all night, oh yeah, you don't get tired. have kept on scoring
    However, none of the studies have gone on long enough to make reliable predictions. have lasted
    Maybe Desert Storm should have gone on at least to Basrah, if not indeed to Baghdad. continued until the forces reached

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: have gone on

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your circumstantial explanation. In my humble opinion it is written very profesional to the letter. Thank you for your endeavour.

Regards.

V.