Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 19
    #1

    "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    It is not appropraite to compare copyright issues with personal property issues
    Could any one tell me if I can replace "not appropraite" with "inappropraite" in above sentence? and let me know why grammatically?
    Last edited by notatall; 16-Apr-2008 at 17:03.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    "inappropriate" can be used.

  1. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #3

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by notatall View Post
    It is not appropraite to compare copyright issues with personal property issues
    Could any one tell me if I can replace "not appropraite" with "unappropraite" in above sentence? and let me know why grammatically?
    Anglika is dead right.
    I am not sure if "ununappropriate" exists in common use. Probably only as a verb:
    to take from private possession; to restore to the possession or right of all; as, to unappropriate a monopoly.
    UNAPPROPRIATE


    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 19
    #4

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "inappropriate" can be used.
    Thnak you. sorry for the typo


    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 19
    #5

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Anglika is dead right.
    I am not sure if "ununappropriate" exists in common use. Probably only as a verb:
    to take from private possession; to restore to the possession or right of all; as, to unappropriate a monopoly.
    UNAPPROPRIATE
    Sorry for the typo. it should be "inappropraite"

    Could you tell me if I can replace "not appropraite" with "inappropraite" in above sentence? and let me know why grammatically?

  2. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #6

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by notatall View Post
    Sorry for the typo. it should be "inappropraite"

    Could you tell me if I can replace "not appropraite" with "inappropraite" in above sentence? and let me know why grammatically?
    Yes, you can. I can see no difference, to be honest.


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #7

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Yes, you can. I can see no difference, to be honest.
    With the adjective appropriate Banderas, I think there might be an ever so slight distinction in terms of 'politeness'. Maybe with not, you're being considerate towards the other person, not wanting to hurt their feelings.

    Certainly with other adjectives, there can indeed be a difference e.g with possible. I remember suggesting (in a fax)a day for an agreed lunch date to a non-native English teacher. He faxed me back with the word "impossible".

    I was offended. If he had written "not possible", I wouldn't have been.

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #8

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by naomimalan View Post
    With the adjective appropriate Banderas, I think there might be an ever so slight distinction in terms of 'politeness'. Maybe with not, you're being considerate towards the other person, not wanting to hurt their feelings.

    Certainly with other adjectives, there can indeed be a difference e.g with possible. I remember suggesting (in a fax)a day for an agreed lunch date to a non-native English teacher. He faxed me back with the word "impossible".

    I was offended. If he had written "not possible", I wouldn't have been.
    Hi Naomimalan,
    thanks for this suggestion!
    I thought that "inappriopriate" might be a stronger expression than "not appriopriate" and even checked BNC. I eventually came to think it does not have to be the case. I believe that native speaker's opinion is more valuable for me than hits from the mentioned source. Thank you again.


    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 19
    #9

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Hi Naomimalan,
    thanks for this suggestion!
    I thought that "inappriopriate" might be a stronger expression than "not appriopriate" and even checked BNC. I eventually came to think it does not have to be the case. I believe that native speaker's opinion is more valuable for me than hits from the mentioned source. Thank you again.
    Thank you both.
    I think I can apply the method to many adjective having in- or un-form


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 484
    #10

    Re: "not appropraite" VS "unappropraite"

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Hi Naomimalan,
    thanks for this suggestion!
    I thought that "inappriopriate" might be a stronger expression than "not appriopriate" and even checked BNC. I eventually came to think it does not have to be the case. I believe that native speaker's opinion is more valuable for me than hits from the mentioned source. Thank you again.
    Thanks for the nice compliment Banderas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question on "not likely"
    By howlingwolf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2007, 13:52
  2. "Not in my karma"
    By Dark Horse in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2006, 05:05
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2005, 04:14
  4. "not bad" and "not too bad"
    By phalkun in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2004, 18:44
  5. "Not that I know of"
    By CuriousT in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2003, 20:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •