• Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone explain the sentences for me

Advanced reservations for golfers will be accepted seven days in advance stating at 6:00 am.
    My interpretion is
    if I want to book a tee time for Sunday,I must book it only by 6:00 am on the privious Sunday
    or the booking should be made by the prvious Sunday 6:00 (anytime before the privious Sunday 6:00 )
    or any other interpretion is correct
    thank you

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can anyone explain the sentences for me

Quote Originally Posted by notatall View Post
    Advanced reservations for golfers will be accepted seven days in advance starting at 6:00 am.
    My interpretion is
    if I want to book a tee time for Sunday,I must book it only by 6:00 am on the previous Sunday
    or the booking should be made by the previous Sunday 6:00 (any time before the previous Sunday 6:00 )
    or any other interpretation is correct
    thank you
    It is slightly obscure.

It appears that if you wish to pre-book a tee time, you can only do so seven days previously, and that the bookings can be made from 6.00 am, presumably throughout that day until the office closes.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Can anyone explain the sentences for me

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is slightly obscure.

It appears that if you wish to pre-book a tee time, you can only do so seven days previously, and that the bookings can be made from 6.00 am, presumably throughout that day until the office closes.
    I have a golfer friend who interprets this slightly differently, based on years of booking experience. He also comments that it is, indeed, poorly worded.

However, the interpretation should be (he believes) that one cannot book a tee time more than seven days ahead. So, for example, if you are interested in playing that course on your vacation in August, you cannot book in April for August. You can, however, book any time in the seven days immediately prior to the date/time you want. This is provided, of course, that if one did not do so on the Sunday, there remains time/date availability on, let's say, Thursday prior.

Thus, essentially, the meaning is that one can book up to seven days ahead, but not two months ahead.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedMtl View Post
    I have a golfer friend who interprets this slightly differently, based on years of booking experience. He also comments that it is, indeed, poorly worded.

However, the interpretation should be (he believes) that one cannot book a tee time more than seven days ahead. So, for example, if you are interested in playing that course on your vacation in August, you cannot book in April for August. You can, however, book any time in the seven days immediately prior to the date/time you want. This is provided, of course, that if one did not do so on the Sunday, there remains time/date availability on, let's say, Thursday prior.

Thus, essentially, the meaning is that one can book up to seven days ahead, but not two months ahead.
    As to the sentence "you can book any time in the seven days immediately prior to the date/time you want", Do you mean the booking can be made during the privious Sunday from 6:00? that is if you are interested in golfing on Apr 20th 08:00, you must complete your booking only from 6:00 to 17:00 of "Apr 13th". Is that correct?
    If so, what difference is between your interpretation and Anglika's

By the way, can you let me know what difference in meaning between "starting at 6:00" and "from 6:00"
    I hate to bother you too much, but the issues and grammatical questions interest me a lot
    Thank you and your golfer friend

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Can anyone explain the sentences for me

Quote Originally Posted by notatall View Post
    As to the sentence "you can book any time in the seven days immediately prior to the date/time you want", Do you mean the booking can be made during the privious [previous] Sunday from 6:00? that is if you are interested in golfing on Apr 20th 08:00, you must complete your booking only from 6:00 to 17:00 of "Apr 13th". Is that correct?

No, it means the earliest you may book is one week before. You cannot book on Saturday, 12 April. You can book for 20 April starting on 13 April, and at any point thereafter up to the day you play, provided there is still space available.

If so, what difference is between your interpretation and Anglika's

Seems to me that she is stating a reservation must be made on the Sunday previous. I am stating that you can make it starting Sunday previous, and throughout that week thereafter, up to the day of playing, provided space remains open.

By the way, can you let me know what difference in meaning between "starting at 6:00" and "from 6:00"

There is no appreciable difference between the two. Both mean that booking-schedules open at 06:00 on the day in question.

I hate to bother you too much, but the issues and grammatical questions interest me a lot
    Thank you and your golfer friend

I'll pass on the thanks to him. Personally, I have no interest in the games at all!

Hope this helps!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedMtl View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Of course, your answer is very helpful even though you are not interested in the game.
    As to the first question, what does "Advanced reservations for golfers will be accepted seven days in advance" say, I will ask the golf agent for thier interpretation if I have chance to talk to them and will post what I get.
    Thank you again and thank all