Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. davidsordi
    Guest
    #1

    Lightbulb past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    could anyone advise please the difference between (if any):

    AFTER I had finished my school I went to Canada.
    I had finished my school BEFORE I went to Canada.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by davidsordi View Post
    could anyone please advise me as to the difference between (if any):

    AFTER I had finished my schooling I went to Canada.
    I had finished my schooling BEFORE I went to Canada.
    I can't see any difference, David. But I may be missing something.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by davidsordi View Post
    could anyone advise please the difference between (if any):

    AFTER I had finished my schoolingI went to Canada.
    I had finished my schooling BEFORE I went to Canada.
    You are just using different words to say the same thing.

    Can you justify using past perfect? What is wrong with saying:
    After I finished my schooling I went to Canada.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    AFTER I HAD FINISHED MY SCHOOL I WENT TO CANADA. (I THINK PAST PERFECT EMPASISES THAT ONE PAST ACTION CONCLUDED IN ORDER TO OPEN THE WAY FOR THE OTHER ACTION TO HAPPEN IN OTHER WORDS THE PREFERENCE OR OBLIGATION WAS TO FINISH THE SCHOOL FIRST BEFORE GOING TO CANADA).

    AFTER I FINISHED MY SCHOOL I WENT TO CANADA.(MAY IMPLY MORE OF INTRODUSING FACTS OF HOW THINGS DEVELOPED)

    ANYBODY DISAGREE?

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    You are just using different words to say the same thing.


    Can you justify using past perfect? What is wrong with saying:
    After I finished my schooling I went to Canada.
    Indeed!
    One should be aware of the Past Perfect Tense and that is beyond any discussion. On the other hand, I barely hear native speakers using this tense in their speech. All of us know that "the Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past."
    I do think, however, that either "after" or "before" do the job as BobK's sentence shows above.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Indeed!
    1. On the other hand, I barely hear native speakers using this tense in their speech.

    2. All of us know that "the Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past.

    3. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past."

    4. I do think, however, that either "after" or "before" do the job as BobK's sentence shows above.
    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hi, everyone.

    I have a question of the tense in the adverbial clause of time introduced by since or when:
    When the verb in the main clause is the past perfect, what tense should be used in the dependent clause? Here is an example:
    John had worked hard since he came (or had come?) to the factory.

    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    John had worked hard since he had come to the factory.
    John had worked hard since he'd come to the factory.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...ause-time.html

    The four points raised by Banderas and the reply of David L in another thread on the same issue seem to point to something more happening here. If #2 is the reason for the past perfect, why is there sometimes the option to not use it?

    And why, in the thread above, has that option seemingly disappeared?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Smile Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgegia View Post
    AFTER I HAD FINISHED MY SCHOOL I WENT TO CANADA. (I THINK PAST PERFECT EMPASISES THAT ONE PAST ACTION CONCLUDED IN ORDER TO OPEN THE WAY FOR THE OTHER ACTION TO HAPPEN IN OTHER WORDS THE PREFERENCE OR OBLIGATION WAS TO FINISH THE SCHOOL FIRST BEFORE GOING TO CANADA).

    AFTER I FINISHED MY SCHOOL I WENT TO CANADA.(MAY IMPLY MORE OF INTRODUSING FACTS OF HOW THINGS DEVELOPED)

    ANYBODY DISAGREE?
    This is what I know about the difference.

    You normally use the past simple tense with after and before when one action preceding another happens immediately or within a short time apart (it's up to the speaker what they think a short time is). Otherwise, you use the past perfect tense:

    After she finished with the fruit salad, Mum started to lay the table.
    After she had left university, Monica found a well-paid job in advertising.


    Before Mum started to lay the table, she finished with the fruit salad.
    Before Monica found a well-paid job, she had left university.


    Now if you see a sentence like the above, with the past perfect simple tense used, you might well think of this idea; the author of the sentence might have had such in their mind, who knows.

  5. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    the author of the sentence might have had such in their mind, who knows.
    Having said "the author" you meant a writer apparently, not a speaker...

  6. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Smile Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Having said "the author" you meant a writer apparently, not a speaker...
    Either way.

    The author of the written word is the writer, and the author of the spoken word is the speaker.

  7. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: past perfect with BEFORE and AFTER

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Either way.

    The author of the written word is the writer, and the author of the spoken word is the speaker.
    Show me a speaker excluding English teachers who use Past Perfect tense in his speech. Or perhaps ask an ordinary English native speaker what is this tense about. Expect such a reaction=

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •