Neither...nor/either...or

Hi,
    Could you kindly tell me the correct variant out of the two, as well as explain it?
    i) Do not dare calling her like that neither in public nor in private!
    ii)Do not dare calling her like that either in public or in private!

Thanking you in advance.
    Maria

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Smile Re: Neither...nor/either...or

Quote Originally Posted by MashUK View Post
    Hi,
    Could you kindly tell me the correct variant out of the two, as well as explain it?
    i) Do not dare calling her like that neither in public nor in private!
    ii)Do not dare calling her like that either in public or in private!

Thanking you in advance.
    Maria
    In your particular example, the difference is minimal. However, the usage is not ideal in the first example. The second is more suitable.

If by "calling" you mean to speak to a person, the comment sounds better thus: "Do not dare to address her in that manner, either in public or in private."

If you want to use "neither-nor" you can change it a bit. "Neither in public nor in private should you address her in that manner."

Usually the "neither-nor" construction is used in negative connotations. For example. "The cross-bred flower was neither tulip nor daisy." In this example, "either-or" would not work. ("The cross-bred flower was either tulip or daisy." This just is not a logical comment.)

While there are conventions and application rules, there will also be situations where idiomatic usage will dictate which is preferred. In some cases, one will just sound better than the other -- especally in conversation as opposed to writing.

Re: Neither...nor/either...or

[quote=RedMtl;283789]In your particular example, the difference is minimal. However, the usage is not ideal in the first example. The second is more suitable.

If by "calling" you mean to speak to a person, the comment sounds better thus: "Do not dare to address her in that manner, either in public or in private."

If you want to use "neither-nor" you can change it a bit. "Neither in public nor in private should you address her in that manner."

Usually the "neither-nor" construction is used in negative connotations. For example. "The cross-bred flower was neither tulip nor daisy." In this example, "either-or" would not work. ("The cross-bred flower was either tulip or daisy." This just is not a logical comment.)

Hi,
    Seems like i felt right, doubting the 1st sentence. To be honest, i was confused by "do not dare" standing pretty far away from the adverbial modifier that i was going "to deny".
    Though if we paraphrase my examples into the one you supplied ("Neither in public...") the latter will sound a bit more formal and less natural in an everyday speech, won't it?
    Anyway, thank you for your comment and looking forward to your thoughts on the above.

Regards,
    Maria