Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    #1

    all and everything

    hi,
    if i would like to order a sandwich with all the available ingredients, how should I say it?
    "a sandwich for here with all [the ingredients], please"?
    "a sandwich for here with everything, please."?
    thanks.

  1. RedMtl's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 171
    #2

    Smile Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hi,
    if i would like to order a sandwich with all the available ingredients, how should I say it?
    "a sandwich for here with all [the ingredients], please"?
    "a sandwich for here with everything, please."?
    thanks.

    It's going to vary with where you are located. Here, for example, a pizza with "everything" is called a pizza "all dressed." Elsewhere, where I have friends, the same thing is called a pizza "with the works." So, while one might be sensible enough to figure out what you mean, regardless of where the clerk/waiter might be located -- the specific term will vary regionally.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #3

    Re: all and everything

    Here we might say "a burger with everything". The expression "the works" also works.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 1,860
    #4

    Re: all and everything

    thanks a lot.
    i still have a small doubt.
    is "a sandwich for here with all, please" possible in English, generally speaking?
    i mean without saying "... all the ingredients" but only "... all".
    thanks.

  3. #5

    Re: all and everything

    All or all of the is normally used adjectivally e.g.
    I drank all the wine or all of the wine
    she did all of the work
    etc Compare this with
    I drank everything
    she did everything
    where everything functions as a sort of pronoun.

  4. RedMtl's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 171
    #6

    Smile Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    thanks a lot.
    i still have a small doubt.
    is "a sandwich for here with all, please" possible in English, generally speaking?
    i mean without saying "... all the ingredients" but only "... all".
    thanks.
    No, not really. If you were to say to a waiter: "I'd like a sandwich for here, with all, please," you would most likely be understood to mean that you wanted the package deal (often called a "combo") including drink and side dish (fries, salad, or whatever the place offers).

    You'd be better to say "all dressed" or "all the condiments" or "all the toppings" or else you'll likely get fries and a drink! At least, in most parts of North America you would.

  5. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #7

    Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by RedMtl View Post
    No, not really. If you were to say to a waiter: "I'd like a sandwich for here, with all, please," you would most likely be understood to mean that you wanted the package deal (often called a "combo") including drink and side dish (fries, salad, or whatever the place offers).

    You'd be better to say "all dressed" or "all the condiments" or "all the toppings" or else you'll likely get fries and a drink! At least, in most parts of North America you would.
    In England, you'd say "........with all the trimmings" if you wanted a sandwich with all the available ingredients.
    We talk of having a turkey meal " with all the trimmings" at Christmas. Everyone understands that to mean turkey, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, two or three different vegetables, gravy and cranberry sauce.

  6. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #8

    Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    We talk of having a turkey meal " with all the trimmings" at Christmas. Everyone understands that to mean turkey, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, two or three different vegetables, gravy and cranberry sauce.
    Like a big wedding with all the trimmings.

  7. buggles's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3,987
    #9

    Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Like a big wedding with all the trimmings.
    Not really - we tend to use the expression pretty much only when referring to food.

  8. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #10

    Re: all and everything

    Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    Not really - we tend to use the expression pretty much only when referring to food.
    What do you call a wedding with additional things which complete or improve its appearance?
    Last edited by banderas; 20-Apr-2008 at 16:44. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •