entrepreneur, sole proprietor/trader

Dear native speakers of English

Can you kindly show me the difference between an entrepreneur and sole proprietor/trader, if there is any?

Thanking you in advance.
    Maria

Re: entrepreneur, sole proprietor/trader

An entrepreneur is someone who starts up a new business. It can also be used for someone who has an "entrepreneurial" spirit. One who enjoys starting new businesses and is not likely to work for someone else. An entrepreneur may also startup a business, sell it to someone else or acquire partners, and then continue to start up other businesses.

A sole proprietor is the owner of his or her own business. Sole proprietorship generally refers to the type of ownership of the business and has less to do with the personality of the person who owns it. He could have started the business from nothing (which would make them also an entrepreneur) or they could have purchased it from someone else or inherited it. Someone can own a business that they started 50 years ago.

A trader is someone who buys and sells. He might buy and sell stocks (or other securities), commodities, properties, or anything else. They are usually in the business of making profit by effectively buying and or selling things for short periods of time.

Re: entrepreneur, sole proprietor/trader

Quote Originally Posted by AntieAnnie View Post
    An entrepreneur is someone who starts up a new business. It can also be used for someone who has an "entrepreneurial" spirit. One who enjoys starting new businesses and is not likely to work for someone else. An entrepreneur may also startup a business, sell it to someone else or acquire partners, and then continue to start up other businesses.

A sole proprietor is the owner of his or her own business. Sole proprietorship generally refers to the type of ownership of the business and has less to do with the personality of the person who owns it. He could have started the business from nothing (which would make them also an entrepreneur) or they could have purchased it from someone else or inherited it. Someone can own a business that they started 50 years ago.

A trader is someone who buys and sells. He might buy and sell stocks (or other securities), commodities, properties, or anything else. They are usually in the business of making profit by effectively buying and or selling things for short periods of time.

Hi,
    Thank you a lot for your exhaustive explanation, i appreciate it.
    However, by "trader" i meant a "sole trader" which i was told is a synonym for "sole proprietor". Is it really so or there is a slight difference?
    Thanking you in advance.