• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

when, although, while

Dear teachers,

I feel confused that "when" and "while" both mean "although". Could you please explain the diffrence betweent them? I have consulted dictionaries but can see no difference from the examples.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Re: when, although, while

I'm having a hard time thinking of cases where the words "when" or "while" could be substituted for "although." Do you have any examples that you have run across?

"When" and "while" usually refer to a dimension of time. So in a substitution for "although" it could also be thought of as "at the same time that I could be" which could also mean "although." Does that make sense???

Let's see:

1) I am eating chicken while I could be eating steak. - This could mean that I'm eating chicken although I could be eating steak.

(Because steak is generally more expensive than chicken, I have enough money to eat steak, but I am eating chicken instead.)

2) I am driving when I could easily walk. (I am close enough to my destination to walk to it, but instead, I am driving). "When" in this case could be substituted for although (but "although" is more correct, or maybe we would say "even though").

I hope this helps a little??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: when, although, while

Dear AntieAnnie,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

I am sorry I didn't explain my idea clearly. What I meant was I have found the following definitions for "when" and "while":

when: although
    while: although

So I can't see the difference between "when " , "while" and "although" when all can mean "although". Could you please kindly explain the difference between them?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by AntieAnnie View Post
    I'm having a hard time thinking of cases where the words "when" or "while" could be substituted for "although." Do you have any examples that you have run across?

"When" and "while" usually refer to a dimension of time. So in a substitution for "although" it could also be thought of as "at the same time that I could be" which could also mean "although." Does that make sense???

Let's see:

1) I am eating chicken while I could be eating steak. - This could mean that I'm eating chicken although I could be eating steak.

(Because steak is generally more expensive than chicken, I have enough money to eat steak, but I am eating chicken instead.)

2) I am driving when I could easily walk. (I am close enough to my destination to walk to it, but instead, I am driving). "When" in this case could be substituted for although (but "although" is more correct, or maybe we would say "even though").

I hope this helps a little??