• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

pins and needles

Dear teachers,

Today morning I read a NYT’s article namely “Ethics Law Isn’t Without Its Loopholes”. There are in the following below excerpt a few expressions which drew my attention for the fact that it is rare to see them.

“Everybody is on pins and needles because we are dealing with a criminal statute,” said James B. Christian Jr., a partner at Patton Boggs, whose federal lobbying revenues rose last year by 22 percent, to $42.7 million. “Filing the reports will be very cumbersome and burdensome.

Would you be kind enough to verify my speculations concerning the meaning of the terms in bold?

pins and needles = a tingling sensation felt in a part of the body numbed from lack of circulation.
    in a state of tense anticipation

dealing = regard as, take for, treat as, consider to be.

revenues = state income, receipts

filing = woking, processing,

report = an official or formal statement of facts or proceedings. (bill)

The bill has reached the reportstage

cumbersome = difficult to handle

burdensome = onerous (troublesome)

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 22-Apr-2008 at 15:41.

Re: pins and needles

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Today morning I read a NYT’s article namely “Ethics Law Isn’t Without Its Loopholes”. There are in the following below excerpt a few expressions which drew my attention for the fact that it is rare to see them.

“Everybody is on pins and needles because we are dealing with a criminal statute,” said James B. Christian Jr., a partner at Patton Boggs, whose federal lobbying revenues rose last year by 22 percent, to $42.7 million. “Filing the reports will be very cumbersome and burdensome.

Would you be kind enough to verify my speculations concerning the meaning of the terms in bold?

pins and needles = a tingling sensation felt in a part of the body numbed from lack of circulation.
    in a state of tense anticipation

The author means the second, but has the wrong idiom. It ought to be "on tenterhooks".

dealing = regard as, take for, treat as, consider to be. To take action with respect to something

lobbying revenues = state income, receipts moneys contributed by interested parties to assist in lobbying the government

filing = woking, processing,

report = an official or formal statement of facts or proceedings. (bill)

"filing the reports" = registering them with the state organisation in preparation for the debating of the contents of the bill.

cumbersome = difficult to handle

burdensome = onerous (troublesome)

Regards.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

pins and needles = a tingling sensation felt in a part of the body numbed from lack of circulation. - this would be the literal translation
    in a state of tense anticipation - this is a great way to describe the sentiment in the article.

dealing = regard as, take for, treat as, consider to be. - correct interpretation.

revenues = state income, receipts - "revenues" generally refer to the money brought in by any business before any expenses are paid. For example, if Microsoft had revenues of $50 billion last year, that would refer to the revenues before any payroll was paid, any materials were purchased, etc. (I have no idea whether the amount that I used is anywhere near being correct)

filing = woking, processing, - actually "filing" in the article would be better defined as "submitting" the report (either to the courts or to another regulatory agency)

report = an official or formal statement of facts or proceedings. (bill) - I probably wouldn't translate "report" as "bill", but rather, as a statement (either in words or numbers) stating the facts of what happened.

cumbersome = difficult to handle - "cumbersome" is difficult to handle because it is big. In this case, I would imagine that there is a great deal of paperwork with a lot of facts to research.

burdensome = onerous (troublesome) - correct

Regards.

V.
    Please see my responses directly within your quote... I hope this helps!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your very expert explanations of the matter in question. You gave me a broad hint to perceive the words not as a detached independent terms but as a united whole in an unbreakable connection with the adjoining determinative words which very often change drastic their original meaning.

Regards.

V.

You're welcome.

It is one of the important skills in reading to recognise where words are used in collocation and not merely for their own meanings. It takes practice.