1. Kurata

It's or its?

I recently downloaded a free e-book which explained 10 simple mistakes people make when using English, such as loose instead of lose.
    The first example said:
    Download the HTA, along with 'it's' readme file. (Which is apparently wrong).
    The second part said:
    Download the HTA, along with 'its' readme file. (Which is apparently correct).
    I understand that the first question doesn't mean 'it is', but my understanding of English suggests that the 'readme file' belongs to the 'HTA' and therefore SHOULD use 'it's'. It's of course meaning 'belonging to'.
    Is my interpretation correct or is this example actually wrong?

Re: It's or its?

Hi there!
    People very frequently have trouble with the use of it's and its. While it is true that we use the contraction - 's - to mean "belonging to," the word "its" is an exception.

The only time that we use "it's" is to mean "it is." When we want to say "belonging to it," we write "its" without the apostrophe.

Correct uses:

1) This is a case in which each essay has its own theme.

2) It's a shame that we can't all ride in one car.

I hope that helps!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    The first example said:
    Download the HTA, along with 'it's' readme file. (Which is apparently wrong). It is wrong!

The second part said:
    Download the HTA, along with 'its' readme file. (Which is apparently correct).It is correct.

I understand that the first question doesn't mean 'it is', but my understanding of English suggests that the 'readme file' belongs to the 'HTA' and therefore SHOULD use 'it's'. It's of course meaning 'belonging to'. No, the possessive is "its". "it's" is the abbreviation for "it is" and "it has".

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thankyou = ) That's exactly what I needed to know. I knew there was something I didn't understand!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Think of the possessive its the same way you do his and hers, and NOT like you do Tom's or Mary's.