Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 194
    #1

    Greetings

    Hi,

    Which one sounds best to greet?

    1. Fellow Students, Teacher and Friends

    2. Dear Teacher, Fellow Students and Friends

    3. Dear Sir, Fellow Students and Friends

    Best wishes,

    Mr. N

  1. RedMtl's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 171
    #2

    Smile Re: Greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Nutty View Post
    Hi,

    Which one sounds best to greet?

    1. Fellow Students, Teacher and Friends

    2. Dear Teacher, Fellow Students and Friends

    3. Dear Sir, Fellow Students and Friends

    Best wishes,

    Mr. N
    Depends entirely on the circumstances. Are you making a speech?? If so, I would go with the first one, "Fellow Students, Teacher(s) and Friends."

    The other two sound more like writing for a letter. If so, I would send such letters individually, not collectively.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,216
    #3

    Re: Greetings

    Are you making a speech, or writing a letter?

    Do you think anyone might be insulted if you refer to fellow students and friends as seperate groups of people?

    Generally, put the most senior people first - so start with teachers and then go to students.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 194
    #4

    Re: Greetings

    Thanks for the response

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Are you making a speech, or writing a letter? Making a speech.

    Do you think anyone might be insulted if you refer to fellow students and friends as seperate groups of people? No, I don't think so.

    Generally, put the most senior people first - so start with teachers and then go to students.We are all in the same grade.

    By the way, you can suggest me one from yourself too, if you think none is that good. I always respect your suggestions.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: Greetings

    Can you tell us if this is a spoken greeting or a written greeting, and what is the occasion that it is to be used at?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 194
    #6

    Re: Greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Can you tell us if this is a spoken greeting or a written greeting, and what is the occasion that it is to be used at?
    Hi Anglika, thanks for taking the time out me. It's a spoken greeting. I have to deliver a speech.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #7

    Re: Greetings

    "Good evening/morning/afternoon, everyone. I would like to thank you all for coming along today - teachers, fellow students and guests. ..."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 194
    #8

    Re: Greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "Good evening/morning/afternoon, everyone. I would like to thank you all for coming along today - teachers, fellow students and guests. ..."

    Thank you for you time and assistance, Anglika. I have one more question. Is it correct to say "coming along today"? I mean I will render the presentation in my class room, before my fellow students and teacher, so won't it sound a bit weird? They take the class every day. Can I say "I would like to thank you for joining the presentation today"?


    By the way, I am very sorry for not being clear that where I have say that. I hope you will forgive me.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #9

    Re: Greetings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Nutty View Post
    Thank you for you time and assistance, Anglika. I have one more question. Is it correct to say "coming along today"? I mean I will render the presentation in my class room, before my fellow students and teacher, so won't it sound a bit weird? They take the class every day. Can I say "I would like to thank you for joining the presentation today"?
    The students may be there every day, but their guests won't. However, I see your point, and suggest that another approach might be "I would like to thank you for being here today for this presentation".


    By the way, I am very sorry for not being clear that where I have say that. I hope you will forgive me. It's not a problem - and your English is not that bad!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 194
    #10

    Re: Greetings

    Thanks for your response. It's indeed very thoughtful of you to take the time out and help people this way.

    I am sorry I made a typo. It's "sorry for not being clear. I hope you will forgive me".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •