Grammar Question

Today I have just had a lesson and I am stuck when trying to deal with the following exercise:

After we ......... dinner, we returned home.

A. have B. had c. had had d. has

My teacher told me that the answer is C but i wonder why cant we use B, because the action happened by order and i think that we do not need to use past perfect here. Is my teacher's answer correct or not?and can you explain me why?Thanks in advance.

Re: Grammar Question

the action happened by order and i think that we do not need to use past perfect here.

I agree with you. The sense in which I would use "had had dinner" instead would be to stress that the meal was 'over and out of the way'.

"We were anxious to get going as we had a long way to drive. Mum, as ever, wouldn't let us go without eating, so it wasn't until (after) we had had dinner that we got underway."
    Last edited by David L.; 23-Apr-2008 at 05:29.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by wintermissing View Post
    Today I have just had a lesson and I am stuck when trying to deal with the following exercise:

After we ......... dinner, we returned home.

A. have B. had c. had had d. has

My teacher told me that the answer is C but i wonder why cant we use B, because the action happened by order and i think that we do not need to use past perfect here. Is my teacher's answer correct or not?and can you explain me why?Thanks in advance.

I am not a teacher, so all I can offer is commentary on the usage patterns, not the rules of grammar. That said, in New Zealand you would hear and read option B more often than the option your teacher said was correct. I suspect that the same may well be true of other flavours of English, such as Australian and UK English too, especially in everyday use.

It's worth noting, though, that option C is still in use, but it's often disguised by contraction, so that instead of "after we had had dinner", you might hear or read "after we'd had dinner."

Thanks for your reply!I have been studying english for many years and i think like the way you do as well!anyway, just want to thank you for your advice again!