set up or set up over

Hi
    A VOLUNTEER group of 264 lawyers was set up over the weekend to offer free legal services to local families who will be relocated for urban construction.
    1\In this sentence, how to understand the phrase----set up, which one is correct, set up or set up over? Could you give me an example for the correct one?
    2\Though I have read the word, relocate, in some sentences, I do not know how to use it, and what situation I can use it, could you give me some comments about it?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Smile Re: set up or set up over

Quote Originally Posted by wuwei View Post
    Hi
    A VOLUNTEER group of 264 lawyers was set up over the weekend to offer free legal services to local families who will be relocated for urban construction.
    1\In this sentence, how to understand the phrase----set up, which one is correct, set up or set up over? Could you give me an example for the correct one?
    2\Though I have read the word, relocate, in some sentences, I do not know how to use it, and what situation I can use it, could you give me some comments about it?

Thanks
    I think you are separating the wording in the wrong place (in your mind). It is not "set up over." It is "over the weekend" which is puzzling you. "Over the weekend" means that something was done between Friday and Monday.

What is being said is this: "A volunteer group of 264 lawyers has been set up. This was done over the weekend. The lawyers will offer free legal assistance to local families because these families have been forced to move from their homes as a result of local construction in their neighbourhood."

"Relocate" in this example means that the families are being moved from where they live, and given housing in another place. This is "to relocate" people.

Re: set up or set up over

Thanks, got it