So have I/So do I

Hi,
    Is it correct to use as a short answer to "She has three dogs." "So does he." Or shall we use "So has he"?
    I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. The same as in a sentence "She has never been to Rome." "Neither have I." Am i right?

Thank you a lot in advance.
    All the best,
    Maria

Re: So have I/So do I

"She has three dogs." "So does he."

Or should we use "So has he"
    - 'does' is more colloquial, casual, and 'has' is just a little bit more formal in speech.

I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. -yes - or, "So do they."

The same as in a sentence "She has never been to Rome." "Neither have I." Am i right? Yes - that is the correct reply

Re: So have I/So do I

[quote=David L.;286902]"She has three dogs." "So does he."

Or should we use "So has he" - 'does' is more colloquial, casual, and 'has' is just a little bit more formal in speech. I would appreciate it if you could tell me why you changed "shall" into "should". Wasn't "shall" correctly used in that case in the meaning of "asking for directions"? Does "should" sound better here? Thought "shall" was the only possible variant for the situation described above.
    Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: So have I/So do I

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. -yes - or, "So do they."
    I can't agree with you on that, David. have got is a semi-modal, so you can't actually use the operators do and does to make a statement like the above - it's only have that is correct:

She has a Ferrari.
    So does he. (common usage)
    So has he. (old-fashioned; more formal)

She has got a Ferrari.
    So has he. (common usage)
    So does he. (incorrect)