• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

won't have done

Source information:
    Date2002 (Feb) Publication informationVol. 137, Iss. 2; pg. 70, 11 pgsTitleThe pugilistsAuthorCal FussmanSourceEsquire
    Expanded context:
    at the Bay Academy in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, with sights on the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Gabriel (wearing red trunks): " We don't wear the same clothes at the same time because it's childish. That's the kind of stuff you only see on TV. Sometimes, we wake up in the morning and we won't have told each other what we're planning to wear and we'll both go for the same pants. Then it's, " No, I'm going to wear them!'' " Daniel: " He says that I hog up the clothes and I don't give him ...

I wonder why 'won't have told' is used in this context. Could we say 'won't tell' instead? What is the special meaning of the future perfect tense here?

Could I ask native English teachers to help me please? Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: won't have done

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Source information:
    Date2002 (Feb) Publication informationVol. 137, Iss. 2; pg. 70, 11 pgsTitleThe pugilistsAuthorCal FussmanSourceEsquire
    Expanded context:
    at the Bay Academy in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, with sights on the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. Gabriel (wearing red trunks): " We don't wear the same clothes at the same time because it's childish. That's the kind of stuff you only see on TV. Sometimes, we wake up in the morning and we won't have told each other what we're planning to wear and we'll both go for the same pants. Then it's, " No, I'm going to wear them!'' " Daniel: " He says that I hog up the clothes and I don't give him ...

I wonder why 'won't have told' is used in this context. Could we say 'won't tell' instead? What is the special meaning of the future perfect tense here?

Could I ask native English teachers to help me please? Thank you very much.
    Hi, this implies the past, they had not already told each other,
    and we won't have told each other what we're planning to wear

Won't tell each other, implies the future, they will not tell each other.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: won't have done

It's not future tense. "We won't have told each other what we're planning to wear" means "we haven't told each other what we're planning to wear".