Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #1

    questions about counting sth

    Hi, everyone.

    I have some questions about counting sth.

    1
    What is the meaning of "some/few/several/many dozen sth"? Is it the same as "some/few/several/many dozens of sth"? For example, "some dozen eggs" = "some dozens of eggs"?
    Similarly, how many are the eggs when someone says "many hundred eggs" or "many hundreds of eggs"?

    2
    Can I say "several dozen of eggs"?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Smile Re: questions about counting sth

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hi, everyone.

    I have some questions about counting sth.

    1
    What is the meaning of "some/few/several/many dozen sth"? Is it the same as "some/few/several/many dozens of sth"? For example, "some dozen eggs" = "some dozens of eggs"?
    Similarly, how many are the eggs when someone says "many hundred eggs" or "many hundreds of eggs"?

    2
    Can I say "several dozen of eggs"?

    Thanks in advance.
    As for #1, several dozen something is not the same as several dozens of someting:

    two dozen eggs = 24 eggs exactly
    several dozen eggs - could be 36/48/50 etc. eggs

    You can't say two dozen(s) of eggs or several dozen(s) of eggs here.
    Again, many hundred eggs is not the same as many hundreds of eggs .

    As for #2, see above.

    Remember:

    dozens/hundreds/thousands/millions etc. of something is a lot of something, and can't be preceded with a number of quantity.


  3. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #3

    Re: questions about counting sth

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    As for #1, several dozen something is not the same as several dozens of someting:

    two dozen eggs = 24 eggs exactly
    several dozen eggs - could be 36/48/50 etc. eggs

    You can't say two dozen(s) of eggs or several dozen(s) of eggs here.
    Again, many hundred eggs is not the same as many hundreds of eggs .

    As for #2, see above.

    Remember:

    dozens/hundreds/thousands/millions etc. of something is a lot of something, and can't be preceded with a number of quantity.

    Thank you for your reply.

    But I am still confused.

    According to your point of view, I can't say some hundreds of eggs?
    But I find some examples of some hundreds of by google, and one of them is "... some hundreds of yards from where we lay, ..." (Conan Doyle, The Lost World) I don't know the exact length of some hundreds of yards and whether the length is the same as some hundred yards.
    Last edited by enydia; 27-Apr-2008 at 12:37.

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Re: questions about counting sth

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    But I am still confused.
    Here's my simple explanation (I do hope it is so):

    [you go to a shop to buy eggs; you say:]
    Can I have half a dozen eggs, please? if you want to buy only 6 eggs
    Can I have a dozen eggs, please? if you want to buy 12 eggs
    Can I have two dozen eggs, please? if you want to buy as many as 24 eggs

    In the last sentence above, you can't use either the plural dozens or the singular dozen followed by of.

    However, you could say:

    Can I have some/a few/several dozen eggs, please? if you wanted to buy more than just a dozen eggs; it could well be 36/48 or more, or less, but always a quantity of something times 12

    [once again you go to a shop; you say:]
    Can I have (some/a few/several) dozens of eggs, please? if you want to buy a lot of eggs, without saying exactly how many; you can omit the words in brackets, unlike in the sentence above. You would get the exact quantity on the invoice and it might well be 100/1000 etc. eggs so that you knew what you were going to pay for.

    Last edited by engee30; 27-Apr-2008 at 13:20.

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Re: questions about counting sth

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    But I am still confused.

    According to your point of view, I can't say some hundreds of eggs? You can actually.
    But I find some examples of some hundreds of by google, and one of them is "... some hundreds of yards from where we lay, ..." (Conan Doyle, The Lost World) I don't know the exact length of some hundreds of yards (because some hundreds of yards is obscure and means a lot of yards) and whether the length is the same as some hundred yards. (No, it's not the same - some hundred yards means about a hundred yards in length)

  6. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #6

    Re: questions about counting sth

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Thank you very much

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #7

    Re: questions about counting sth

    a few dozen eggs
    several dozen eggs
    two dozen eggs
    three dozen eggs
    dozens of eggs


Similar Threads

  1. Passive
    By cheap cigarette in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 20:29
  2. Please, please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2007, 13:53
  3. Please answer the questions!
    By asad hussain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 01:51
  4. Many questions.....
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2005, 12:18
  5. Proofread plus long list of questions
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2005, 14:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •