Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 92
    #1

    Cool Eyeball at me?

    Hello amigos!

    Jane had eyeballed at me during the dinner-party.

    What does this verb mean? the same as "stared at me"?

    Thanks,

    Sam

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,816
    #2

    Re: Eyeball at me?

    Quote Originally Posted by sambistapt View Post
    Hello amigos!

    Jane had eyeballed at me during the dinner-party.

    What does this verb mean? the same as "stared at me"?

    Thanks,

    Sam
    Common usage would be: "Jane eyeballed me during the dinner party."
    Yes, it means the same as 'stared at me'.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #3

    Smile Re: Eyeball at me?

    Quote Originally Posted by sambistapt View Post
    Hello amigos!

    Jane had eyeballed at me during the dinner-party.

    What does this verb mean? the same as "stared at me"?

    Thanks,

    Sam
    When it comes to dealing with verbs that are transitive, at means direct something at somebody or something else, and doesn't state the same in the following sentences:

    Jane had eyeballed at me during the dinner-party. (= she directed her eyes at me; implying a number of times when it happened)
    Jane had eyeballed me during the dinner-party. (= she looked at me thoroughly; implication of one complete action)

    It can also imply that somebody succeeded in doing something, Little Joe kicked the ball (and scored), or that somebody was just trying to be successful at doing something, Little Joe kicked at the ball (but he fell and didn't score).



    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: Eyeball at me?

    However, there is no structure "eyeball at something/someone".

    You eyeball someone = stare at them in a confrontational manner.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Cool Re: Eyeball at me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    However, there is no structure "eyeball at something/someone".
    You could also say that there is no such structure like kick at somebody/something. Well, even if you can't find it in a dictionary, you should know that such a construction is possible.


  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,593
    #6

    Re: Eyeball at me?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    You could also say that there is no such structure like kick at somebody/something. Well, even if you can't find it in a dictionary, you should know that such a construction is possible.

    I agree with Anglika, there is no structure to "eyeball at" s,thing, however there is such a structure with the verb "to kick" ; "to kick at", "to kick out at"

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #7

    Cool Re: Eyeball at me?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I agree with Anglika, there is no structure to "eyeball at" s,thing, however there is such a structure with the verb "to kick" ; "to kick at", "to kick out at"
    Take me at my word - kick out at somebody/something is not the same as kick at somebody/something.


    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 119
    #8

    Re: Eyeball at me?

    It's an awful expression, slang and probably invented by someone who had not heard of the word stare.

    Whether or not you say kick or kick at, you don't say foot the ball, or foot at the ball.

    Kick is what you do with your foot, stare is what you do with your eye(ball)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •