• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

take something for granted?

Hello Everyone,

Today I read a report headlined" Obama discount race as a factor in the presidential election", in which there is the phrase " take that for granted". I don't fully understand it. Hope you can explain here!

Speaking in Indiana to reporters, Obama declined to set expectations on a margin of victory in that state. Clinton was spending the day campaigning in North Carolina.
    "I think winning is winning, 50 plus one," Obama said. "Indiana is a very important state, so is North Carolina, we're not taking that for granted. There's no doubt it's close. We feel very strongly that our message of bringing change to Washington is going to resonate in Indiana."

In my understanding, the underlined means that Obama are confident that they will win in Indiana and their belief are based on maybe their efforts and what is really happening, which doesn't come from nowhere.

I am wondering whether my understanding is correct?

Regards

Sky

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Re: take something for granted?

Hi Sky,

to take somtehing for granted means that you are really sure about it (that it will happen).

so, since in the quotation this phrase is in negative, "we're not taking that for granted" means the opposite to what you think, i.e. he is not sure that they will win

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: take something for granted?

Why do you always expect me to tidy up your room? I can't believe you're so ungrateful! You shouldn't take my help for granted! (a mother to her daughter)

People in industrialized countries often take many things for granted - like having clean water, enough food, or housing.
    (to accept something without gratitude and as a matter of course)

He spoke English so well that I took it for granted that he was a Brit. (I assumed it was true that he was a Brit without thinking about it or making sure whether it is true)