• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

foaming out

Dear teachers,

Just now, I ran into a phrase that bewildered me. Here it is:

Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Would you be kind enough explain to me the meaning of the expression in bold? I caught the general meaning of the whole verse (Jude 1:13) but I am astoneshed at the frivolous English writer concerning the usage of the expresion in question.

I know that “the raging waves” as a matter of fact are “the false ministers” causing trouble and turbolence in the church as well as the doubting people which are as wind-tossed waves, double-minded and unstable in everything. In my humble opinion there is a misusage of the combination “foam out” . I know that the verb “foam” combines usually with along, down, over, off, away. I know such expression as: “be foaming at the mouth” = “to have bubbles coming out of your mouth because you are very ill”; informal: “to be very angry” or “ What should you do if your dog is foaming out of the mouth?”, “ foaming at the mouth”, “foaing in the raw water”, “foaming with much blood”, “foaming in her guts”, foaming down the basement”,or "cause to foam”, “break into foam”.

If I were the author I would use the word “scattering” or “spreading out”. But who am I?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 29-Apr-2008 at 08:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: foaming out

It's unusual but nonetheless descriptive.

I take it to mean that the sea (or waves) are expressing their shame through their foam.

A kettle could steam out its indignation

A tap could gush out its feeling of power etc etc

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: foaming out

Hi Dave Mortimer,

Thank you for your prompt reply as well as for your unambiguous explanation. Thank you also for your additional paralel examples.

The author describes “the false ministers” as “raging waves” which “foaming up their own shame”. It is a picturesque phrase. The author alludes to the foam on the beach after a strom. The strand is littered with all kinds of driftwood and other debries a storm can dredge up. They brag about their past feats as great accomplishments,but a godly eye sees them for what they are: shameful deeds.

Thank you again for your helpful post.

Regards.

V.