• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gordon Brown

Dear God, it's enough to make you want to... well, vote Conservative.

Especially when Gordon Brown looks less and less like the decisive man we want leading our country and more like the tragic "Before" bloke in a before-and-after dandruff advert.

Meanwhile, David Cameron, toff or no toff, shows remarkable signs of coming up with policies that voters actually want.
    Hi,

Q1: What is the meaning of "Before" bloke?

Q2: What is the main sentence for the following sentence?

Especially when Gordon Brown looks less and less like the decisive man we want leading our country and more like the tragic "Before" bloke in a before-and-after dandruff advert.

when Gordon Brown looks less and less like the decisive man we want
    <=== Adverbial clause? But where's the main sentence here?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi,

Q1: What is the meaning of "Before" bloke?

Q2: What is the main sentence for the following sentence?

when Gordon Brown looks less and less like the decisive man we want
    <=== Adverbial clause? But where's the main sentence here?

Thanks!
    Your confusion is entirely reasonable . The phrase '"Before" bloke' isn't an idiom you haven't met. The reference is to those adverts showing two photographs, one taken before and one taken after use of the product: example - http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/16...41ad211c30.jpg. Pictures like this often have the caption 'Before' and 'After'. The word 'bloke' is informal and colloquial Br Eng; 'guy' is the nearest equivalent I know of in Am Eng (although, in the UK at least, a 'guy' can be female*, whereas a 'bloke' is always male). So the writer is just referring to Gordon Brown's dark hair and his rather hang-dog (sad/depressed/expecting the worst) expression, which makes him look like the model in a 'Before' picture in an advert for anti-dandruff shampoo.

And you're right to expect a sentence after the capital E of 'Especially'. Newspapers, particularly the ones with a narrow column width, and ones aimed at a less intellectually-demanding reader (The Daily Mirror, rather than The Times, but even The Times sometimes, especially in the less formal parts of the paper) tend to do this. Their readers like short sentences, and sub-editors just spray full-stops around regardless! Well spotted

b

*I was once in a choir led by a music teacher in a girls-only school, who addressed the choir as 'guys' - referring to the sopranos and altos as well as the tenors and basses. I think she used the term even at school - addressing just girls.
    Last edited by BobK; 29-Apr-2008 at 12:00. Reason: Fix typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Mr /Ms. Bobk,

Thanks for your answer again! English is my second language so sometimes I have to understand sentences by trying to analyze the structure.

I had thought you were a bloke, to be more exact, a gentleman, because your name is Bobk. Bob is a name for male, isn't it? If you wouldn't like to disclose that, I would address you Bobk. Hope you wouldn't think I am rude.
    You said you were in a girls-only school.

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    *I was once in a choir led by a music teacher in a girls-only school, who addressed the choir as 'guys' - referring to the sopranos and altos as well as the tenors and basses. I think she used the term even at school - addressing just girls.
    Your remarks above remind me of a French movie--Les Choristes. It is great and the teacher and music were quite impressive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    ...You said you were in a girls-only school.
    Nope. My Musical Director taught in a girls-only school.

Your remarks above remind me of a French movie--Les Choristes. It is great and the teacher and music were quite impressive.
    I was "in" that very school (St Joseph's, Reading, not the one in Les Choristes), only 10 days ago - ITV Local YourNews - Local to you 22/04/08 Thames Valley - but I didn't attend it when I was a school-boy (and boys still don't).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mr. Bobk,

Thanks for your URL link. I can watch it but not hearing because there's something wrong with my audio software. It looks great! I'd like to watch it again once I fix it.

I'm not good at singing but I enjoy music. One of my favorites is Ode to Joy composed by Beethoven.

I think both languages and music, which can make the world a happier and healthier place, are great.

Cheers!