• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tory and Welsh

Above all, the new Tories have shown they understand a fundamental truth: a happy, stable family is the basis of a good society.

My Welsh grandfather knew that and voted Labour all his life. I know it, too. Which is why I'm willing to break with that tradition.

Sadly, Labour no longer sets the tone and standard for the sort of country I want my children to grow up in.

If that makes me a Tory, so be it.
    Hi, Does the author mean most Welsh support Labour traditionally? Is it true?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi, Does the author mean most Welsh support Labour traditionally? Is it true?
    It used to be true, and it's still a tendency. Wales is to Britain rather as Catalunya is to Spain - it's the power-house. There was a huge coal-mining industry in Wales until recently (a Tory government was instrumental in its decline, and the Welsh electorate blames the Tories). The coal-mining has been to some extent been 'replaced' by the oil-based industries around Milford Haven - but that's just another fossil fuel, so the industry isn't sustainable. A lot of the Welsh economy now depends on tourism and other 'invisible exports' - people bringing money in from outside (both Welsh commuters - some of whom travel as far as London - and non-Welsh owners of second homes).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mr. Bobk,

Thanks for your very nice answer. You are very helpful.