Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Usage of word 'leverage'

Hi,

I found that it is very common to use the word 'leverage' as verb in the conversation or essay nowadays. Could anyone provide any description with examples of the usage of 'leverage' as verb?

Thanks
    Benson

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Usage of word 'leverage'

Hi Beson

Leverage (noun) power or ability to act or to influence people, events, decisions, etc.; sway.
    Ex: Being the only industry in town gave the company considerable leverage in its union negotiations. Source: leverage - Definitions from Dictionary.com

The following examples are form CORPUS CONCORDANCE ENGLISH. Click on the word 'leverage' to see the entire context the sentence is taken from:

1 Global economic trends that minimize labor's leverage at the bargaining table and lingering attitu
    2 what I mean. I had to keep more or less the leverage more or less the same because you couldn't d
    3 system that is opening up opportunities for leverage on their relation to clients as well as oppo
    4 rse sources of information. We will need to leverage our customers ' existing investments in other
    5 to civilian officials unable to utilize the leverage that the NATO force represented. The results
    6 rs, and as a result of Washington's loss of leverage, the estimated 12,000-strong force has becom
    7 ni S Q L Gateway. But what I can also do is leverage the power of 's client server extensions to

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Oops, sorry. You had asked about its use as a verb.

Yes,

I need the example of it as a verb.

thanks
    Benson

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Benson

As a verb 'leverage' is considered a buzzword, and not one that people online seem to think should be used in business at all (click here), which is sad to hear.

I was able to find this definition; however haven't been successful at finding examples:
    In the physical sense, leverage is an assisted advantage. As a verb, to leverage means to gain an advantage through the use of a tool. For example, you can more easily lift a heavy object with a lever than you can lift it unaided. Leverage is commonly used in a metaphorical sense. For example, as a frequently used business or marketing term, leverage is any strategic or tactical advantage, and as a verb, means to exploit such an advantage, just as the use of a physical lever gives one an advantage in the physical sense.

Here's another: leveraging - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Last edited by Soup; 29-Apr-2008 at 14:06.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hi Benson

As a verb 'leverage' is considered a buzzword, and not one that people online seem to think should be used in business at all (click here), which is sad to hear.

I was able to find this definition; however haven't been successful at finding examples:
    In the physical sense, leverage is an assisted advantage. As a verb, to leverage means to gain an advantage through the use of a tool. For example, you can more easily lift a heavy object with a lever than you can lift it unaided. Leverage is commonly used in a metaphorical sense. For example, as a frequently used business or marketing term, leverage is any strategic or tactical advantage, and as a verb, means to exploit such an advantage, just as the use of a physical lever gives one an advantage in the physical sense.
    Here's another: leveraging - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Hi soup, I'm not surprised that you weren't able to find any examples of "to leverage", it's horrible, ungainly and unneccessary.
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 29-Apr-2008 at 15:12. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm one of the people who thinks as a verb it has more to do with phyics and mechanics than business, and yet, despite myself, it has crept insidiously into my vocabulary.

Didn't Dave used to work with that client? Can we leverage his relationships with the people still there to get in to meet with the decision-makers?

We can leverage our location so near the client as an advantage over the others who can't respond as quickly.

It just means "to maximize the value that can be obtained from a situation."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I'm one of the people who thinks as a verb it has more to do with phyics and mechanics than business, and yet, despite myself, it has crept insidiously into my vocabulary.

Didn't Dave used to work with that client? Can we leverage his relationships with the people still there to get in to meet with the decision-makers?

We can leverage our location so near the client as an advantage over the others who can't respond as quickly.

It just means "to maximize the value that can be obtained from a situation."
    Barb,
    How are you going to use this "verb" "to leverage"?

"We leveraged his relationships", "We are leveraging his relationships"

This is not English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It's business English, like it or not.

I don't know why you say it's not English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi bensonfungenglish,

There are some more examples concerning the matter in question:

Well increasingly we see that organizations are recognizing that effective use of information as a corporate resource manipulated and manageable as a whole can be of a tremendous competitive advantage and the client server has become the most effective way of exploiting and leveraging that resource.
    She also figures SCO has despaired of leveraging their relationship with Microsoft, which owns a piece of the company, in any way.
    Sequent won't currently go into details over products, but says it will be "leveraging its technology and knowhow" gained from its line of high-end Intel-based multi-processor Symmetry systems, aimed at corporate users looking to downsize their mainframes.
    Here, Sara Ladbury and Clive Mira-Smith highlight the central fallacy underpinning the complex relationship between training and labour markets (chapter 4), Sue Buckingham-Hatfield demonstrates the dangers of crude measures of the leveraging of private capital with government investment and she, Neil Smith (chapter 5) and Liz Bondi (chapter 6) all focus on the downsides that may be involved in the visible expression of residential urban regeneration that is often conveniently tucked away in the concept of gentrification.
    We can't go on leveraging for ever.
    Pursuing an entrepreneurial and demand-led strategy, LDDC claim to have leveraged over 4.4 billion of private investment for an outlay of 440 million of public money predominantly applied to land reclamation and infrastructural provision --; a gearing ratio of 10:1. By contrast MDC's land reclamation and infrastructural provisions have demonstrated a markedly weaker propensity for attracting private capital. Despite expenditure of 170 million.
    These one-time costs once met could be leveraged over much more business activity around the globe than we then enjoyed.
    One reason is the low credit quality of US corporations following the wave of takeovers and leveraged buyouts and associated issues of " junk bonds ". Issues hence no longer meet the high standards of credit quality required by the eurobond market.
    When bankers say that a company is "leveraged ", they mean that the company's debt greatly exceeds the owners' equity or share in the company.

Regards.

V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast