Prayer-kneeler

This is my first post. I'm quite happy to have found this forum, I should say before anything. It is also probably relevant to say now that English is not my native language.

I just can't figure how to say properly that someone is praying kneeling on a prayer-kneeler.

Could I write "he is praying at the prayer-kneeler" without meaning that he's worshipping the prayer-kneeler?

What if "he is praying on the prayer-kneeler"? Better?

I'm trying to find examples of usage with Google, but probably due to my faulty search words, I'm not getting much other than many prayer-kneeler manufactures. I found "stood on a prayer-kneeler" (one occurence).

Thanks for the lights.

Zague

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Prayer-kneeler

He is using the prayer-kneeler to pray.

Or you can use the word "hassock" - He is kneeling on a hassock to say his prayers/to pray.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm not certain, but I think that "hassock" might be strictly BrE. In AmE, as far as I know, it is always referred to either as a "kneeler" or a "Prie Dieu." In fact, whenever I read about a hassock in British literature, I pictured something more along the lines of a cushion, which always sounded far more comfortable than the unforgiving wooden kneelers with a thin layer of vinyl tacked on top that we had in my church.

Indeed. I've seen one "kneeling hassock" among dozens of cushions and similar things in Google images. It seems that it is not readily associated with praying as a prie-dieu or prayer-kneeler are (obviously).

Zague

Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    He is using the prayer-kneeler to pray.
    Thanks, Susiedqq. Now, would it sound a little dry in a (maybe awkward in other regards) sentence like this one:

The Pope is using the prayer-kneeler, his head bent, his forearms extending horizontally and his hands dangling in front of him.

I'm including a picture to show you what I'd like to convey.

Zague
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prayer-kneeler.jpg  

Nice little drawing!

What you show is usually called a "prie-dieu" - it's a piece of furniture specifically constructed for the purpose of praying, but I have never seen is called anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Nice little drawing!

What you show is usually called a "prie-dieu" - it's a piece of furniture specifically constructed for the purpose of praying, but I have never seen is called anything else.
    Thanks for the goods words about my pope in prayer. He ends up being somewhat inspiring. Is my sentence ok, though? Would there be a way to avoid using "using" which I find a little bland, or is it me who's worrying uselessly about something sounding very well to an english reader?

Also, if I change the prayer-kneeler for a prie-dieu, will it sound precious?

Zague

How about: "Using a prie-dieu, he knelt to pray".

It would not sound precious here, but maybe the US would have an alternative word/phrase.