Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 150
    #1

    Unhappy There is/are

    Hello everybody,

    could anybody please explain to me, how come we can say: "There is a lot of people" when "is" is singular and people plural?

    Can we use There is with plural forms? e.g. There is a lot of boxes, snow, children, chairs...???

    If so, what is more common to say? There is a lot of people or There are a lot of people.

    It might be a bit confusing what I have just written but I hope you get the gist.

    Again, I would be really grateful if anybody tried to make it clear.

  1. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #2

    Re: There is/are

    There are people.
    There are many people.
    There are some people.
    There is plenty of people.
    There is a lot of people/ boxes/ children/ chairs...

    Many is plurial.
    A lot is singular.

    There is a lot of people. True
    There are a lot of people. Wrong

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #3

    Re: There is/are

    Hi




    In spoken English, contracted there's can take a lot of + plural noun:
    Ex: There's a lot of people.


    Uncontracted,
    Ex: There are a lot of people.
    Ex: There is a lot of people.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #4

    Re: There is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by kukinecka View Post
    Hello everybody,

    could anybody please explain to me, how come we can say: "There is a lot of people" when "is" is singular and people plural?

    Can we use There is with plural forms? e.g. There is a lot of boxes, snow, children, chairs...???

    If so, what is more common to say? There is a lot of people or There are a lot of people.

    It might be a bit confusing what I have just written but I hope you get the gist.

    Again, I would be really grateful if anybody tried to make it clear.
    You must take into consideration the first noun coming after the "dummy" subject there is / there are.
    e.g. There are a lot of people / children / boxes.... . In this example you have to use are because the first noun coming after there has a plural form. A lot of is a determinative, modifying the noun people.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #5

    Re: There is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    There are people.
    There are many people.
    There are some people.
    There is plenty of people.
    There is a lot of people/ boxes/ children/ chairs...

    Many is plurial.
    A lot is singular.

    There is a lot of people. True
    There are a lot of people. Wrong
    Hi Philadelphia!

    I am sorry but I have to contradict you. Many and a lot of are determinatives modifying the noun people. The real subject of the sentence is people. There are is the dummy subject of the sentence.

    There are..... people.
    There are a lot of people
    There are plenty of people.

    but

    There is plenty of sugar. [ singular noun]
    There is plenty of food.
    There is a lot of sugar.
    There is a lot of food.

  3. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #6

    Re: There is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by Teia View Post
    Hi Philadelphia!

    I am sorry but I have to contradict you. Many and a lot of are determinatives modifying the noun people. The real subject of the sentence is people. There are is the dummy subject of the sentence.

    There are..... people.
    There are a lot of people
    There are plenty of people.

    but

    There is plenty of sugar. [ singular noun]
    There is plenty of food.
    There is a lot of sugar.
    There is a lot of food.
    That's welcome.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #7

    Re: There is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    That's welcome.
    I really hope you don`t mind.
    We are here to learn from one another. I sometimes make mistakes as well.
    Last edited by Teia; 02-May-2008 at 12:52.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 150
    #8

    Re: There is/are

    What should I use then? There are or there's???

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #9

    Re: There is/are

    Quote Originally Posted by kukinecka View Post
    What should I use then? There are or there's???
    a) With a plural noun you should use "there are".
    There are (a lot of)(many) people in the yard. (with a plural noun, "a lot of" means many; it's not singular)

    b) With a singular or noncountable noun you should use "there is" (or "there's").
    There is a dog in the yard.
    There is a lot of time left.

    c) "there's" is a contraction for there is and there has.
    Last edited by 2006; 03-May-2008 at 00:26.

Similar Threads

  1. School fees is/are high????
    By Unregistered1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-Oct-2009, 05:34
  2. is/are
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2008, 08:09
  3. Is/Are?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2008, 02:23
  4. is/are
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2007, 17:33
  5. is/are
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2006, 12:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •