need not have

hi

can anyone give me a context to teach the language item ' I need not have got up so early'...pls

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: need not have

Quote Originally Posted by reenamma View Post
    hi

can anyone give me a context to teach the language item ' I need not have got up so early'...pls

thanks
    Imagine it's Saturday today. You got up early instead of having a long lie-in. You might have thought it was Friday, so in such a circumstance you can say, I needn't have got up so early (= it wasn't necessary for me to get up early, but I actually did get up early; and now you sort of regret it; we all know that you got up early)

I didn't need to get up early. (we don't know whether or not you got up early)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: need not have

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Imagine it's Saturday today. You got up early instead of having a long lie-in. You might have thought it was Friday, so in such a circumstance you can say, I needn't have got up so early (= it wasn't necessary for me to get up early, but I actually did get up early; and now you sort of regret it; we all know that you got up early)

I didn't need to get up early. (we don't know whether or not you got up early)

I need not have got up so early - is correct
    Last edited by venkatasu; 03-May-2008 at 17:12.