I need a better one for this tranformation, please help me!!!

Few days ago I asked on an English forum of our language this transformation: Rewrite the sentence "It was obvious that the old house was past its prime" using the word "days". A person named Am helped me with this answer: "It was ovious that the old house had seen better days". I thanked so much for his help, thinking he was so kind and good at English. Afterwards, another member politely expressed his thought that Am's answer seemed to be not very exact. But he frankly said sorry because he couldn't find the answer and asked Am if Am could find that better one. I think he was nothing reprehensible. Surprisingly, Am arrogantly and impolitely criticized that member: you have to understand the meaning before you say something correct or incorrect. Am's image in me completely collapsed. Just think, if you think something and you never speak up, when will you ever know that it is right or true? And this was his very reply to Am's attitude: "I know that you are good at English, but it isn't necessary for you to look down on me !!! Because I understood, I said that. But if you think you are right, I have nothing to talk to you ! The first one is right but the second can be written in another way better than yours!!! One day I will show you, one day" (The first one he mentioned was another transformation) Yes, he was really angry, just like me. And I really want to help him. But I can't find any other better answer either. The only thing I could do is to ask for your help. Please help me to find a better answer. Please help me. Please help him!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: I need a better one for this tranformation, please help me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by linhtho0211 View Post
    Few days ago I asked on an English forum of our language this transformation: Rewrite the sentence "It was obvious that the old house was past its prime" using the word "days". A person named Am helped me with this answer: "It was ovious that the old house had seen better days". I thanked so much for his help, thinking he was so kind and good at English. Afterwards, another member politely expressed his thought that Am's answer seemed to be not very exact. But he frankly said sorry because he couldn't find the answer and asked Am if Am could find that better one. I think he was nothing reprehensible. Surprisingly, Am arrogantly and impolitely criticized that member: you have to understand the meaning before you say something correct or incorrect. Am's image in me completely collapsed. Just think, if you think something and you never speak up, when will you ever know that it is right or true? And this was his very reply to Am's attitude: "I know that you are good at English, but it isn't necessary for you to look down on me !!! Because I understood, I said that. But if you think you are right, I have nothing to talk to you ! The first one is right but the second can be written in another way better than yours!!! One day I will show you, one day" (The first one he mentioned was another transformation) Yes, he was really angry, just like me. And I really want to help him. But I can't find any other better answer either. The only thing I could do is to ask for your help. Please help me to find a better answer. Please help me. Please help him!
    Hi lintho0211,

I don't think that there is a better answer than "It was obvious that the old house had seen better days".

Rewrite the sentence "It was obvious that the old house was past its prime" using the word "days". A person named Am helped me with this answer: "It was obvious that the old house had seen better days."

You set the limit - and the challenge - by stipulating that the reference to the aging of the poor old house must be some expression using 'days'.
    AM's response is fine.

thaihang91 đă viết :
    câu hai c̣n có thể viết ngắn lại, chỉ việc bỏ "it was obvious that" ^^

Ừ, Everybody knows that you are stupid cũng có thể viết ngắn lại thành You are stupid

A better thing may not be the correct one ^^
    The art of languages is to choose the most appropriate, not simply the best

It's very boring to talk to you. You are very haughty and conservative.

That would have livened up the forum in the wee small hours of the night!
    Last edited by David L.; 04-May-2008 at 11:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"It was obvious that the old house was past its prime"

"It was obvious that the old house had seen better days".

This was the best answer, given the requirement that the word "days" had to be used.

Whenever anyone offers an answer, you simply need to say, "Thank you for your answer" or "Thank you for your opinion."

Nothing more is needed.

There is a saying, "You don't have to answer every barking dog."