• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

What is correct

Past perfect tense -kindly refer the threads 1)pastperfect tense -lack of
    clarity.(Venkatasu) 2)Please correct my text.(zoe2008)
    Last edited by rj1948; 06-May-2008 at 15:49.

Re: What is correct

I am sorry - can you be a little clearer about what you are asking here? Are you asking how the Past Perfect tense is used, or querying the comments on the threads you noted?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

THANKS ANGLIKA THIS IS THE THREAD" PLEASE CORRECT MY TEXT BY ZOE2008"

Thank you for your reminder, I already sent the document to Amy

Susan has reply the details to Moon on April 16. The amount of USD xxx you received was correct, because there have 5% discounts from the total amount which has double checked with the customer before. Please find the attached email for your reference. Please contact me again, if there is still problem.

THIS IS YOUR CORRECTED REPLY.

Thank you for your reminder. I had allready sent the document to Amy

Susan had replied with the details to Moon on April 16. The amount of USD xxx you received wascorrect. There was a 5% discount from the total amount which was double-checked and confirmed with the customer previously. Please find the attached email containing this information for your reference. Please contact me again if there is still any problem.
    YOUR REPLY WAS POSTED BY VENKATASU UNDER THE THREAD --PAST PERFECT TENSE -LACK OF CLARITY
    Susan had replied with the details to Moon on April 16. The amount of USD xxx you received was correct. There was a 5% discount from the total amount which was double-checked and confirmed with the customer previously. Please find the attached email containing this information for your reference. Please contact me again if there is still any problem.

posted by anglika moderator in the post 'please correct my text'. for zoe2008

PLS explain 'had replied' in the context of p.p.t

Thankyou
    DAVIDL IN REPLY TO VENKATASU POSTED THE FOLLOWING.
    Susan has reply the details to Moon on April 16.

This was part of zoe2008's original post.
    Understand, that when someone is responding to a post, the most obvious error stands out and is corrected, and something else in that sentence gets inadvertently missed. This is what has happened. The tense and the preposition were corrected. However, by correcting the tense, the preposition at the end became incorrect. It just slipped by, I'm sure. The full correction would be:

Susan had replied with the details to Moon by April 16.
    or it would need t
    Susan replied with the details to Moon on April 16.
    o be

Good for you for spotting it!

I THINK VENKATASU QUOTED YOU OUT OF CONTEXT.

REGARDING PREPOSITION,I AGREE WITH DAVIDL .

I A HAVE DOUBT REGARDING THE USE OF PAST TENSE IN THE COTEXT OF ZOE2008 THREAD.

Thank you
    Last edited by rj1948; 07-May-2008 at 11:21.

Right.

To me there is no conflict. Zoe is notifying her colleague/client that an action had been taken on a certain date. As this may be part of an ongoing series of communication, it could be "had replied ... on/by xxx" or "replied ... on/by xxx". We do not have the full context, so it is a personal choice which to go with. Maybe Zoe would like to say what she has used or would prefer to use.

As to the preposition, it could be argued that it is not clear if the action was by a date or on a date, and in my view that is not affected by tense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Right.

To me there is no conflict. Zoe is notifying her colleague/client that an action had been taken on a certain date. As this may be part of an ongoing series of communication, it could be "had replied ... on/by xxx" or "replied ... on/by xxx". We do not have the full context, so it is a personal choice which to go with. Maybe Zoe would like to say what she has used or would prefer to use.

As to the preposition, it could be argued that it is not clear if the action was by a date or on a date, and in my view that is not affected by tense.
    Thank you Anglika for your post. I request you to elaborate users like us (who use English as a second language) to elaborate on past perfect tense on various context similar like the one quoted by rj1948. I would request you to visit the my current thread
    (past perfect tense -english as a second language users)